Esme_weatherwax's Reviews > Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2

Ōoku by Fumi Yoshinaga

Jun 28, 2011

I really enjoyed this volume. The main thing that I did not like was the translation. It got annoying. I really enjoyed the fact that the author took things that really happened in history and made it to fit into her story. I also liked the bit in the back where things in the story which non-Japanese people might not get is explained. The artwork is also really enjoyable. The story is very dark and gritty at places but that is life.

SPOILER below:

I really like the fact that the author understand psychology pretty well. For example the fact the the Lord makes her man go around and cut off women's hair b/c she had the something done to her, a is forced to live like a man, is dead on. She was shamed and wanted to shame others to get rid of her own shame. I must be honest the rapes in the volumes at times made me shake my head. However, that is what happened not only then but now. It is very real this work of fiction. If in deed the events of history had happened as stated in the manga, I can see it happening the way the manga portrays it or close to it.

End of Spoiler:

I am really enjoying this series so far it is not my favorite manga series, for I have to read it all for a final judgement, but I have a feeling it will fall in my top five if not my top 3. I really look forward to reading the next volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ōoku.