Renee's Reviews > The Constantine Codex

The Constantine Codex by Paul L. Maier

Jun 28, 2011

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. ~Hebrews 4:12~

Sometimes I take for granted the power and beauty of the Scriptures. I recently finished a book that brought this home to me in an entertaining way: The Constantine Codex by Paul L. Maier.

In this novel, archeologists Jon and Shannon Weber uncover an ancient biblical manuscript containing the lost ending of Mark plus another letter from a New Testament author. At first, I couldn’t suspend my disbelief long enough to really get into the story. So I did some reading about The Dead Sea Scrolls, which were uncovered in 1947—during modern times—to remind myself that God’s world still holds many wonders and mysteries yet to be discovered.

The Constantine Codex is fast-paced, exciting, and informational. Since Jon Weber has friends all over the globe, the action takes place in exotic lands as well as here at home. And since he’s a Harvard professor, he and his colleagues are able to both explain the significance of the ancient texts and debate the merits of their faith systems as they do so. Somehow Jon ends up with a possible fatwa on his head, explores crypts with the help of a buddy from the Vatican, and yet finds time for romantic dinners with his beautiful wife Shannon, who actually found the codex to begin with.

I enjoyed the elements of this story that reminded me of a National Treasure type adventure set in Bible lands. But the scenes that spoke to me most were the ones where the Christian scholars read the codex to each other. Their reverence for the Word, their tears over the apostles’ courage in the face of death, their determination to defend the faith at all costs touched my heart. These fictional characters inspired me to make sure I haven’t lost my first love for God’s Word!

This review is also posted at my blog Doorkeeper.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Constantine Codex.

message 1: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara This one sounds interesting, Renee!

Renee It was, Barbara! I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but it ended up to be really good book. I'm so glad I read it!