Angie's Reviews > The Stone Files

The Stone Files by Shane K. Morgan

bookshelves: beta-read, ebooks, fantasy

This was such a different genre for me to read from Shane, and I found it pleasantly surprising! The story stems from a mother and daughter who are struggling to reconnect with each other and happen upon their aunt's journal while sorting through her attic. The journal contains paranormal, creeptastic stories that seem too otherworldly to be true--yet have subtle hints at being rooted in reality.

The first story "Sweet, Sweet Jessica" tells the story of an empty woman who kills her husband in order to live a comfortable lifestyle and not have to deal with his constant love and attention for her any longer. The second story (which was my favorite of the bunch) "No Harm in Looking" tells the story of a man who is fond of ogling women unknowingly and without their consent. The third titled "Mirror Mirror" centers around a narcissistic woman who is solely preoccupied with her outward appearance. The last story (which was actually very hopeful) titled "The Storm" tells the story of a widow who misses his wife dearly and gets caught up in a terrible storm.

All of the stories have some sort of paranormal and/or ghostly element to them that gives them an unrealistic quality. However, the way they are written and the way the mother (Rachel) reacts to some of the characters' names and places leads us (the readers) to believe that the stories that Aunt Margot has written down are actually histories that have happened versus fictitious stories of her imagination. They were definitely spooky with just the right amount of creep factor to keep you morbidly interested, and I'm stoked to see where Rachel, Liza, and the rest of the Stone Files lead us.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Files.

November 5, 2016 – Started Reading