Lexie's Reviews > Wings of a Butterfly

Wings of a Butterfly by A. Faris

Jun 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks-owned-read

In a twist instead of going BACK in time our intrepid heroine Elizabeth, getting over a spectacularly bad marriage and affair, goes forward in time to recuperate for a few months. While there she meets Damien, a man her cousin Sophie warns her against and sparks fly.

For a short story this packed quite a bit of intriguing information. I wish I had known that this had a companion story ("Out of Joint"), since I may have understood better the world' dynamic. Paranormal creatures abound, as well as time traveling, so I was initially pretty confused by what was going on. Faris seemed to rely on the reader having knowledge about the world and the society, enough so that they could at least follow what Elizabeth's father meant and what Pack law was. Or later when Elizabeth is talking about her brother and his wife--I didn't understand why it was important to repeatedly mention how 'human' she was.

The interaction between Damien and Elizabeth was fun and flirty. They connected on a number of levels, but Elizabeth was always aware of the restraints she had to put on their relationship. This was a little bit frustrating because she would open up, but then draw back and grow distant.

Due to the short nature the ending felt more abrupt with far less explanation then I thought would have been needed. Kind of an 'Oh well this will work out because it has to' then a true explanation.

Review originally posted at Night Owl Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings of a Butterfly.

June 28, 2011 – Started Reading