Marise Ghorayeb's Reviews > Start Again

Start Again by J. Saman

1978934

Let me start by admitting that I’m not normally a fan of romance, but the touch of depth and emotion in this story kept me engaged and turning the pages. First of all, from a technical perspective, this is a very clean piece – something hard to find among indy work. I did notice a couple typos, but overall sentence structure, pacing, grammar etc. were nearly perfect. But all that just makes the story readable, what made it good was the real, deep characters, their highly believable interactions, their stories of loss, and the privilege of watching them overcome their pasts.

The reasons I gave 4 stars instead of 5: For me, 5 stars is book that makes me forget I’m reading and that stays with me even after I put it away. This story, although fantastic, didn’t quite cross the bar (few books do). A few of the loss reactions just didn’t feel completely real to me and the romance itself was a little immature and lusty for my tastes. But new romances are often immature and I could easily see how that would be what someone would need to overcome the loss Katie suffered. Regardless, it was certainly fun to read with plenty of wish-fulfillment moments. I imagine for any true fan of romance, this book would easily pass the 5-star mark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Start Again.

October 28, 2016 – Started Reading