Katy's Reviews > The Same Moon

Jun 28, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, i-edited
Recommended to Katy by: Junying Kirk
Recommended for: everyone

Disclosure: I read and reviewed this book from an e-book provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review in July 2011. I later edited the book for the author.

My Synopsis: Pearl Zhang was born in the Sichuan province on mainland China in 1961. She was raised in a traditional Chinese manner, went to school, got a job, got married, had her single child … and then her life changed. She was given the opportunity to go study at Warwick University in United Kingdom for one year – and stayed. She adjusted to Western life, divorced her husband, lost her child to him, work, struggled, scrimped and saved. She was in a new world, a completely foreign situation – but under the same moon.

My Thoughts: Beautifully written, The Same Moon is an (apparently) semi-autobiographical, semi-fictional story. Ms Kirk tells the story with authority and details that will astound the reader, especially one who, like me, doesn’t know very much about China – its fascinating traditions, its beautiful scenery, its generous people. She also grew up during the Cultural Revolution – she also left home and came to UK and stayed. I don’t know how much else of this story is based on her life, but that is enough to give me an idea – it was not an easy time or place to grow up.

This is not the sort of book I would ordinarily seek out and read – however, Junying Kirk asked me to do so and provide a review, and I can happily say that I loved this book and can heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone. Pick up this beautiful book – the first in a trilogy – and prepare to immerse yourself in a different world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Same Moon.

June 28, 2011 – Shelved
July 21, 2011 – Started Reading
July 21, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook
July 21, 2011 –
21.0% "absolutely amazing book!"
July 21, 2011 –
31.0% "I'm totally impressed with this book - it's VERY good!"
July 22, 2011 –
96.0% "may seem a silly place to stop, but I'm sleepy and will still need to write a review anyway!"
July 22, 2011 – Finished Reading