Norma * Traveling Sister's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

liked it

This was a really frustrating, sad, and uncomfortable read for me and wish that I could have felt more of a connection with these characters. I almost didn't finish listening to this and thought I would probably have enjoyed it much more if I read the print copy of this book instead. The characters mostly came across as angry, disrespectful, and rude which made it really hard for me to empathize with these characters and the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

November 4, 2016 – Shelved
March 14, 2017 – Started Reading
March 15, 2017 –
page 7
March 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine How disappointing, Norma. Seems a narration itself can make or break a story.

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen That's a shame Norma.

Julie Sorry about that, Norma. I didn't add audio on this one, but I understand how it might be a difficult read. Hope the next book is better!!

message 4: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Sorry to hear this, Norma. I wondered if you would've enjoyed the printed version better! Sucks that this version ruined the novel for you!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Sorry sister this one didn't work out for you. Good for me to know. No more books for a bit that could cause monkey chatter. (Yeah I am using that again lol). I am excited to see what you are listening to next. Hope it will be 5 stars.

Norma * Traveling Sister Christine wrote: "How disappointing, Norma. Seems a narration itself can make or break a story."

I think so too, Christine! I can't say that listening to a book comes all that easy for me but I am not giving up just yet.

Norma * Traveling Sister Maureen wrote: "That's a shame Norma."

Yeah, as others seem to have really enjoyed this. Brenda does have the print copy of this book which I might just read to see if it makes a difference in how I feel about it. :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Julie wrote: "Sorry about that, Norma. I didn't add audio on this one, but I understand how it might be a difficult read. Hope the next book is better!!"

Thanks so much, Julie! I hope so too! :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Erin wrote: "Sorry to hear this, Norma. I wondered if you would've enjoyed the printed version better! Sucks that this version ruined the novel for you!"

Thanks, Erin! That's my thoughts exactly that I probably would have enjoyed the printed version better.

Norma * Traveling Sister Brenda wrote: "Sorry sister this one didn't work out for you. Good for me to know. No more books for a bit that could cause monkey chatter. (Yeah I am using that again lol). I am excited to see what you are liste..."

Thanks, Brenda! I think this would have caused a little bit of Monkey Chatter for you. I was definitely a little miffed at some characters in this book! lol

message 11: by Frances (new)

Frances Some books can be hard to get through Norma! Hope the next one is waaaay better!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Too bad Norma. I read the book myself and found I was frustrated with the characters too. Very well written book, but such a depressing storyline that left me feeling very sad. Hope your next book is an upbeat, happy 5 star read!!!! ;-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Frances wrote: "Some books can be hard to get through Norma! Hope the next one is waaaay better!!"

Thank you so much, Frances! I haven't had too many books that I have actually struggled with so that is a good thing. They all can't be great, right? :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Lindsay wrote: "Too bad Norma. I read the book myself and found I was frustrated with the characters too. Very well written book, but such a depressing storyline that left me feeling very sad. Hope your next book ..."

Thank you, Lindsay! I hope that my next book is great too! :-)

Linda Norma, I'm so disappointed that this didn't work out for you. I read a hard copy. I would think that whoever is reading the audio (I've not listened to audios, yet.) could definitely sway you on this storyline. I loved this book. I still think about the characters--especially little Hannah. Well, that's why there are so many books, huh? Something for everyone to enjoy! Wishing you a better experience next time! :<]

Norma * Traveling Sister Linda wrote: "Norma, I'm so disappointed that this didn't work out for you. I read a hard copy. I would think that whoever is reading the audio (I've not listened to audios, yet.) could definitely sway you on th..."

Thank you so much, Linda! I think I was definitely swayed on the way that I interpreted the characters on this audio for sure. I just couldn't feel what I needed to feel while listening to this book. I think that I will have to read the print version of this book as well just to see if I feel differently. To be honest I have a really hard time listening to books. I am going to try one more time and see if I have a better experience if not I am going to give up on it.

message 17: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I bought this one so will read it anyways. Nice review, Norma!

message 18: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry it was such a frustrating read, Norma :( Great review! xoxo

Norma * Traveling Sister Jen wrote: "I bought this one so will read it anyways. Nice review, Norma!"

Thank you so much! Oh definitely you should read, Jen! I am going to read the print copy of this book too as I think that I got it all wrong because of listening to this one. I am really curious if I interpreted it incorrectly. A challenge for myself.....lol

Norma * Traveling Sister KAS wrote: "Sorry it was such a frustrating read, Norma :( Great review! xoxo"

Thank you so much, KAS! I do struggle with audiobooks....ugh! ;-)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Very well-said, Norma! I hope your next read is a goodie :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Kristin (KC) wrote: "Very well-said, Norma! I hope your next read is a goodie :)"

Thank you so much, Kristin! :-)
I guess that they all can't be goodies but would be nice though! lol

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina Norma, sorry to hear it wasn't quite what you expected. Hoping your next one is a 5 star one!

Norma * Traveling Sister Tina wrote: "Norma, sorry to hear it wasn't quite what you expected. Hoping your next one is a 5 star one!"

Thanks Tina! The next book after this one was a 5 star read so I was pretty excited about that one! :-)

Christina  Costain I think I'm going to abandon the audio and switch to the print copy after reading your review. I feel exactly the same way you do. Maybe it's the narrator?

message 26: by fyt (last edited Jul 13, 2017 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

fyt As infuriating as it is, the characters do have every reason to be angry and being disrespectful comes with being angry - you don't really realize it until you say words that hurt, and too embarrassed to take it back.
Let's not forget that little Hannah is a gem.

Norma * Traveling Sister Hi Christina, I am so sorry that I missed your comment. I think it definitely was the narrator and not the book. I hope that you enjoyed it! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister I agree and totally understand with what you are saying fyt and I think if I would have read this instead of listened to the audio version I would have gotten it. But, I just didn't. It was mostly the tone of the narrator here that I had a problem with.

message 29: by fyt (last edited Jul 13, 2017 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

fyt Norma wrote: "I agree and totally understand with what you are saying fyt and I think if I would have read this instead of listened to the audio version I would have gotten it. But, I just didn't. It was mostly ..."

Same here, I can never do audiobooks - they always read in a sort of dead pan tone.
The only book narrator I ever listen to is Nick Podehl : ) He's fantasic!

Norma * Traveling Sister fyt wrote: "Norma wrote: "I agree and totally understand with what you are saying fyt and I think if I would have read this instead of listened to the audio version I would have gotten it. But, I just didn't. ..."

Oh, I will have to look into books narrated by Nick Podehl. Thanks for letting me know! :-)

message 31: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy I am listening to it and am trying to decide if I want to continue.