Jennifer (bunnyreads)'s Reviews > False Idols

False Idols by Jon Hollins

bookshelves: 2018, fantasy-adventure, fantasy-humorous, bingo-r-fantasy-2018

So much fun. This killed it!

I loved the first book- it wasn’t perfect, it was kind of up and down in the pacing and characters sometimes but it got five stars from me anyway because it was entertaining and made me laugh at some of its progressively more absurd predicaments and completely up my alley, so wrong it’s funny, comedy (I still laugh about that damned cow two years later).

This book improves upon those issues with pacing, rounds out the characters and is still fun as hell.

The story picks up months after the end of the first, where we find our group of dragon slaying thieves off living their happily-ever-afters which are turning out to be not quite what they’d hoped for.

Quirk is busy being a VIP instead of getting to study and lecture about Dragons. She wasn’t a favorite in the first book but man, I loved her in this! She rocks!

Balur is finding being a leader of Kondurra way more diplomatic and with less face-eating than he’d prefer. His, more fighting/less diplomacy attitude, gets them into more trouble than not.

Lette was bored to tears being a farmer with Will. Love Lette, she’s tough, sarcastic, and fun and doesn’t know what to do with her soft-hearted boyfriend. Also Balur and Lette together are pure gold-they make me laugh so much.

Will is trying to get over Lette leaving him. - Will is still a favorite. I love how he tries to keep Lette and Balur on the straight and narrow, and I love his never-ending plans and how affronted he gets when everyone does bad shit.

And Firkin is still drunk. -You can see where this is going with him, but it’s such a great ride and I liked how much more rounded out he becomes in this book.

So the Dragons are on the rise again. They are sending priests from city to city, preaching the wrongs of the current religions/gods, and converting people to worship the Dragons instead (think the Ori in Stargate). If they can’t convert the people with magic, they will enforce it with brute strength to get them to conform to the Dragon Gods.

Our heroes are having none of that and reunite (not exactly on purpose) to make sure the Dragons don’t succeed and as you can imagine Will’s plans don’t always go the way he expects.
What follows is more fun adventure, crass and dark at times humor, madcap plans- some succeeding better than they expected and some going down the toilet, and some hilarious conversations as the team bickers their way through trying to raise an army to keep the dragons from winning.

This whole thing was such a blast! I don’t even know what else to add other than Go buy this now! If you are looking for crazy shenanigans, a little bit of gore, dark humor and language somewhere in the vicinity of a Samuel L Jackson interview, then this book is right where you want to be.

Other notes-
-I don’t know if it was an intentional call-back to book one, but I loved the trojan horse cows and also that whole Balur lightning bolt episode! hahaha (I’m still laughing)

-Preordered the next book, something I rarely do.

-That closing line...perfection!

-This series needs to come with a no cows were harmed in the making of this series footnote.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Idols.

November 4, 2016 – Shelved
November 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 26, 2018 – Started Reading
June 29, 2018 –
10.0% "I missed these goofy characters."
July 1, 2018 –
50.0% "“Be finishing your sentence, Will,” said Balur. “I am being interested in what you had to say.”

Don’t do it Will! Listen to Lette!"
July 4, 2018 –
75.0% ""Lawl" berating The Champion...OMG I have tears, I'm laughing so hard! and Will... bwaahahaha!"
July 6, 2018 –
98.0% "One word for this one- PERFECT! RTC"
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy-adventure
July 10, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy-humorous
July 10, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 19, 2018 – Shelved as: bingo-r-fantasy-2018

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Paul Wardman Excellent review. I absolutely love the series and honestly didn't expect what we got with Firkin.

Can't wait for book 3. Fool's Gold could have been a standalone but the way this ended left me needing to know what is going to happen next.

Jennifer (bunnyreads) Paul wrote: "Excellent review. I absolutely love the series and honestly didn't expect what we got with Firkin.

Thank you! Me too, this series is so fun!

What I loved about Firkin was how well his arc worked and looking back on his character from book one how it makes total sense. Some of that stuff in book one I just hand-waved through because of the nature of the story, so if there were hints I didn't notice them. I am tempted to go back an reread it to see.

I have never seen a last line work as well as that one did. Haha! I think if he had left it off, I would have been 'ok, hope there's another book' about it. But that line ended it on such a high note and made me want the next one right now!