Kristen's Reviews > Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Jun 28, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, paranormal-fantasy, youngadult, romance-y, ya-mg-fantasy, own-it, signed
Read from January 17 to 18, 2012

First Impression:
I was excited to read another book about witches that was set back in time. It's nice to have that real feeling of old school fantasy, where modern times do not intrude.

While Reading:
I was drawn right into the story from the beginning. Born Wicked is a tale full of mystery and romance. Three sisters all have the power of witchcraft from their mother. Unfortunately, their mother has passed, leaving the eldest - Cate - in charge of keeping their secret safe. If the Brotherhood were to find out, they would be taken away and charged and sentenced.

Her sisters want to embrace the magic, while Cate has tried to damp down on hers to be a role model and keep them from being discovered. When a mysterious note arrives, Cate finds out there is more to their powers and behind it a prophecy of three sisters who may bring around the destruction of the Brotherhood. A new tutor arrives to prepare them for coming out in society and marriage, but Cate finds that she is hiding something as well.

All the while, Cate is being courted by her childhood friend, but is torn between him and falling in love with the gardener. She must choose what is best for her family, no matter what her heart has to say in the matter.

Final Verdict:
Full of mystery and romance, Born Wicked is a book that I could not put down and one I highly recommend. I just fell in love with this story and I can't wait to read on in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.