Auntee's Reviews > Cherish

Cherish by Catherine Anderson

Mar 18, 2008

bookshelves: catherine-anderson, western-romance, 2011_reads, husband-worthy_hero, made_me_cry
Recommended for: Fans of the author; fans of American historicals/westerns

Ahhhhh...what a wonderful read. I'm so sorry I finished it though! I know this author isn't for everyone, but she sure is for me. I loved Race and Rebecca's story--and I went through many emotions while reading it. I laughed, I cried, I feared for the characters...I got totally wrapped up in it all and I didn't want it to end. And the hero, former gunslinger Race Spencer? One of Catherine Anderson's more memorable heroes. A quarter breed Apache Indian who as a young child lost his mother to a violent act, grew up to be a feared gunslinger and now is trying his hand at ranching. While driving/herding his cattle home to his Colorado ranch, he stumbles upon a chilling scene--a massacre the likes of which he's never witnessed. But there's a lone survivor--a small blonde beauty who's destined to steal his heart.

In the space of a few violent minutes, she had been stripped of everything that truly mattered to her except life itself--her parents, her relatives, her friends, her self-confidence, her world. Even her God. There had been absolutely nothing left. On that fateful evening in the arroyo, it might have been anyone who found her, kneeling in the middle of that bloodbath, mindless with shock. But by some wondrous twist of fate--or perhaps by the hand of God Himself--it had been Race Spencer, a man who was, in every way, a consolation for all that had been taken from her.

Race and Rebecca--not much in common, but they worked well as a couple. Rebecca was a naive young girl making her way by wagon train with her family and members of her tight-knit religious community across the country from Pennsylvania to Santa Fe. They were ambushed by a gang of ruffians looking to steal the money they had brought with them, and shell-shocked Rebecca was the lone survivor. Race stumbles upon the scene, takes pity on Rebecca, and vows to protect her--and nearly loses his life and his herd doing so. Along the way he falls hard for her, but with his lack of education, his Indian heritage, and the hard life he's lead, he wonders if he's good enough for her...

Oh yeah, Race...I loved this character! He was sweet, sexy, commanding, protective, gentle...and funny! I laughed at some of the things he said, I swooned at some of the things he said, and I cried at some of the things he said. Even though he was an uneducated man, he was smart and perceptive and worked his way into Rebecca's heart just by being his sweet self. The fact that they had wildly different backgrounds and life experiences was what made the book so captivating. Rebecca was just so innocent and Race was anything but, but neither had experienced love and it was wonderful seeing each realize that they were falling for the other. I loved the way these characters connected on an emotional level.

And the physical? Well, the 'wedding night' scene is probably one of the best in the book, as Race convinces Rebecca that he will 'go about his business' and will not have any 'ungodly urges'! No spoilers here, but that scene managed to be commical and hot at the same time.:)

"Race, wh-what are you--aa-aaa-ah!--wh-what are you doing?"
From under the quilts, his muffled baritone said, "My manly business, darlin'. It's all right."
Rebecca clamped her knees together. "Are you--sure it's--oh, my God, what--?"

Fans of Catherine Anderson's writing style should love this one. I think it is one of her best stand alone books with one of her best heroes. I truly loved all the characters and the plot, thought there was a decent amount of heat and I could feel the love between the H/h. The dialogue was some of Anderson's snapiest and funniest that I've ever read, and the pacing was quick. She tosses God's name around a bit, but it fits within the plot. My only complaint was...I'd like a sequel! (view spoiler) 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cherish.

March 18, 2008 – Shelved
March 18, 2008 – Shelved as: catherine-anderson
March 18, 2008 – Shelved as: western-romance
August 29, 2011 – Started Reading
August 29, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011_reads
September 7, 2011 –
page 270
70.13% "Impossible to put down now...Race *sigh*..."
September 7, 2011 –
page 385
100.0% "One of her best!"
September 7, 2011 – Shelved as: husband-worthy_hero
September 7, 2011 – Shelved as: made_me_cry
September 7, 2011 – Finished Reading

Christel You are gonna love this one Auntee

Auntee Thanks Christel--I love Catherine Anderson--I gotta get back to reading her stuff. Whenever I want a good cry, I pick up one of her books! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) This one made me do some crying!

Auntee Good to know!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Glad you enjoyed it, Auntee.

Kellie, Catherine Anderson is definitely a fave of mine. I'd recommend giving her a try.

Auntee Thanks Kellie, thanks Danielle.
Kellie, I agree--I'd give her a try. She has contemporaries too if you prefer them to historicals.