Becky's Reviews > Nine Stories

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

did not like it
bookshelves: shortstories-collections, ebook_nook, 2011, classics, disappointing, reviewed, made-my-eyes-bleed

Alright, well. That was umm... I don't know what that was.

I needed to read a non-Goodreads friend recommended book for a challenge, and this is what I got saddled with. I've never read any Salinger, and honestly, this doesn't have me rushing out to change that fact.

Thankfully, it was short. I started it at the dentist today, thinking that short stories would be suited better to the name-called-then-sit-and-wait, rinse, repeat style of office visits. And it was, because I sure as hell didn't mind being interrupted from these stories.

Oh wait, there was actually one story in this collection that I almost halfway liked. Because it was the closest to actually BEING a story. With like, a beginning, middle and end... sort of. Not that it was good (it wasn't), or that I identified with the characters (I didn't and pretty much actively disliked all three of them), or even had a point other than the one above (FWP, yo!), but at least I pretty much knew what was happening in it.

Probably I just don't get it. That's OK. Not getting it was painful enough to only try once.

Sayanara, Salinger. May any pity attempts I give your books in the future at least be readable. And coherent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Stories.

June 28, 2011 – Shelved
July 5, 2011 – Started Reading
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: shortstories-collections
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook_nook
July 5, 2011 –
10.0% "Started at the dentist today. Hmm... A Perfect Day for Bananafish is... odd. If all of these are like this, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it. =\"
July 5, 2011 –
70.0% "Meh... I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about."
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: classics
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: disappointing
July 5, 2011 – Shelved as: reviewed
July 5, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 3, 2015 – Shelved as: made-my-eyes-bleed

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Funny review...contemplating removing the book from my TBR now! More than twenty thousand people rated it a 4 or 5...makes you wonder what is going on their heads...lol.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Becky Brian wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Funny review...contemplating removing the book from my TBR now! More than twenty thousand people rated it a 4 or 5...makes you wonder what is going on their heads...lol."

So twenty thousand people rated it a 4 or 5 and yet you've decided to remove it from your TBR because of one bad review? I'm curious why you don't wonder what is going on in THIS reviewer's head. "

Awww, that's cute, "Brian". Your reading comprehension and detective skills are teeeeeeensy bit rusty. You see, first of all, she said she was CONTEMPLATING removing the book from her TBR. That's not a decision. Secondly, if you see next to her name there, it says "added it", which means that it's currently STILL on her shelf... Unlike yours.

You have rated zero books. You have reviewed nothing. You have no activity at all on your profile except various comments bitching about other peoples' opinions, yet you have none of your own to offer except trolling.

Go take a long hike off a short pier, troll.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 24, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

It's not on my shelf because I've already read it, more than once. I don't rate, review or add books to my "shelf" because I'm too busy reading them.

I couldn't care less if you think I'm a troll. I just think it's preposterous for you to rate literary classics such as "Nine Stories" with one star and potentially put readers off of one of the greatest short story collections ever written because you don't understand good writing and storytelling.

If you tried at all to think about these stories in the context in which they were written (post-WWII America), then it is very obvious what these stories are about. They're virtually all about the loss of childhood innocence, a common theme in Salinger's writing. The fact that you had so much trouble figuring that out indicates that you're just dense.

The fact that your favorite authors list includes the likes of J.K. Rowling, Brandon Sanderson, and Jim Butcher suggests to me that perhaps you should stick to the commercial fiction and fantasy shelves.

message 5: by Rara (new) - rated it 1 star

Rara Mbol Ah thank God I'm not the only one who think this way. I bought this book because I actually liked The Catcher in The Rye. But for this one, when you said "I have no effing idea what these were supposed to be about. Was there a point? It seemed like most of these were just random bizarre and warped vignettes about well-to-do people standing around like..." – it's like the most precise description for this book. I'm disappointed to see so many 5-star reviews on this, I feel like I'm the weird one for not getting the point of this book.

Becky Well, you know, liking things with an actual point or story makes us the weird ones according to the troll above you. Lol

message 7: by rivka (new)

rivka Well, you are a bit weird, Becky. It's one of the reasons I like you.

Becky Aww, thank you! *blush*