Laura J. W.'s Reviews > Zazen

Zazen by Vanessa Veselka

Jun 28, 2011

bookshelves: i-ll-read-it-again

I love this book, and have found it difficult to put it down even now that I've finished it, I’ve dog-eared many pages and the cover already has that “loved” appearance. Zazen is a little-big book, a book of its time, yet it is made from the ancient bones of brave writing — the exquisite storytelling has that special, timeless magic to make this book a classic. Vanessa Veselka’s Della possesses a wry sense of humor that hits its mark with hilarious honesty that can make you laugh and break your heart at the same time in a way that I truly appreciate. Della’s matter-of-fact voice carried me on a journey through a landscape that was both unfamiliar and yet I knew it as home, and accepted it, bombs, Wal-Mart n’ all. At the same time that I feared for Della’s safety and sanity, I knew she was made of sterner stuff, and I knew that I, as the reader, was in good hands. This book will make the faint of heart reader squirm, and the bold reader will adore it for its unique qualities. I will not only recommend the book to anyone who I know will appreciate it, it’s a book that I will give to another reader as a present only because I feel they must read it. Kudos to Vanessa Veselka for writing this beautiful little-big book, and big thank you to Richard Nash & Red Lemonade for publishing such a precious gem!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zazen.

June 28, 2011 – Started Reading
June 28, 2011 – Shelved
June 30, 2011 –
page 31
11.74% "I love this book...I found my way to Red Lemonade, read the first chapter "Burning Ants" online and then a little more, and a little more...then I bought it...I just got it a couple of days ago and I have to restrain myself from gobbling it all up...it's a special book, unique, it's disconcerting and it's quite funny...Vanessa Veselka doesn't hold back, very refreshing."
July 1, 2011 –
page 63
23.86% "Buzzing right along...every so often I laugh out loud...lots to ponder later...I back track for the heck of it...this will definitely go on the "I'll read it again" list and eventually wind up on the "read multiple times"."
July 4, 2011 –
page 105
39.77% "This is such a good book!"
July 9, 2011 –
page 150
56.82% "It keeps getting better and better...keeping my pace in check so I can properly enjoy it..."
July 15, 2011 – Shelved as: i-ll-read-it-again