Niecole's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Jun 27, 2011

A great Epic read.

The story is a long one, be warned, but once you're in there you just can't stop reading!

Narrated by a few characters, the plot is all about a game of thrones (as gets mentioned a few times in the book). I've loved the book, hated parts, didn't want certain things to happen, was sad, cried, laughed... all these emotions in one book!

What happens when a Kingdom is ruled by a man who slayed another king to take his place? What happens when that king dies and his son takes his place? What happens to people acused of treason? What happens to a family loyal to the king? What happens when that family moves apart?
A game of thrones shows us what love and loyalty can do to a family, to a man.
What lenghts people will go to for honour, revenge and the right to rule.

I can't really sum up the book in a short little sentence, so I'd rather recommend you read it :).

I loved the characters Arya, Jon Snow and Tyrion. I hated Sansa, Joffrey and Jaime. King Robert reminded me of Henry VIII and Cersei of Margaret Beaufort or even Anne Boleyn.

Arya is such a brave girl, she's not the average little lady that would do anything to go to the royal court, instead she longs to play swords with her brothers. She loves them all fiercely, even her bastard brother Jon. I expect great things from her in the following books.

Jon Snow, Eddard Starks bastard son... some of my friends have really interesting theories about him. He's the one who finds the wolves. Catelyn Stark, Eddard's wife, and not Jon's mother, seems to hate the poor child, this leads him to take the Black and serve the Wall. I'm looking forward to reading more about him.

Tyrion Lannister, wow what a character! A dwarf (really. A small person, not a dwarf like the one's you find in the auntie next doors garden) with a razor sharp tongue! He's witty, smart and says what's on his mind. You really can't help but like him, and you never know exactly where his loyalties lie.

Sansa Stark, the eldest daughter. She's the prim and proper one, hence the little love between her and her sister Arya. She digs her own grave in the end I think, because she so wanted a fairytale ending, even when it went against her fathers wishes.

Joffrey, oh goodness, a spoiled brat if you ever knew one. I didn't like him from the start. A nasty secret about him is revealed and I hope that lands him flat on his face! Cruel idiot is all I can say.

Jaime... not much I can or want to say about this one... I just think he's a pathetic character and I don't care what happens to him. Him and his sister deserve each other.

The story is totally fictional but it takes you back to a place where King Arthur might have lived, a place where The Others lurk in the dark woods. There are some epic battles, wars being plotted, a love story on the one side with a beautiful young girl, incest, violence... what more could you ask for in a book.

There was a little bit too much violence against animals to my taste, but hey, it's not my book. I guess that gives the story another gruesome side.

Jumping into the next installment, can't wait to see what happens to everyone.

Check out the reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

June 27, 2011 – Started Reading
July 5, 2011 –
page 518
July 5, 2011 –
page 518
62.04% "This book just became really irritating just now. I'm hating how young kids act like lords... Joff and that Robert child."
July 6, 2011 –
page 589
April 20, 2015 –
page 733
April 24, 2015 – Finished Reading

Jaroslav Tuček Why does everyone hate Cersei and Jaime? I kind of hope they make it through the series.

Cersei was married to a worthless bum with more affection for a dead Lyanna and for wenches than for her. Finds love elsewhere and now tries to protect her children. She'd walk over corpses to do so, sure, but Catelyn Stark wished nothing better for Jon...