Molly's Reviews > The Buddha in the Attic

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

Nov 07, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: read-and-reviewed

I enjoyed this uniquely crafted, well researched historical fiction about Japanese brides who came to America in the early 1900s, filled with dreams and hopes for a better life. The book read like an epic lyrical poem due to the first person plural writing technique, which drew me in at first and made me feel connected to the experiences of this collective group of women as their stories unfolded. However, the style wore me out after a while, and eventually, I felt like I was reading an exhaustive and impersonal "grocery list" of experiences. In the latter half of the book, I admittedly started to feel more detached from these women. However upon further reflection, given the outcome and reaction of the people at the end of the story...maybe that was the point? **post-US election update: This book represents an especially timely read for those of us in the states, given the looming threat of widespread Muslim registries (of which Japanese internment in WWII has been cited as a precedent). Apathy and detachment from such severe and shattering actions, is quite simply, not an option.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buddha in the Attic.

November 3, 2016 – Shelved