Rachel's Reviews > 703: How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton and Gained a Life

703 by Nancy Makin

Jun 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011

I wanted to read this book because I have been on my own journey of weight loss for over 2 years, and am currently hovering at 5 pounds away from my goal weight. I was hoping for a bit of inspiration by reading Makin's book, since she successfully lost over 500 pounds!

Overall, I was a bit disappointed by the book. It focused more on Makin gaining her life than her actual process for losing weight, which was ultimately what I was most interested in. However, it was fascinating to read her describing how she was treated differently when she was overweight. I know a large reason she wanted to write the book was to help others avoid judging overweight people. Reading about her life and the factors that contributed to her overeating were intriguing, and made me feel very fortunate to have lived the life I have.

If you look at this book as more of a memoir chronicling life-changing events than of specific details of a weight loss journey, I think you won't end up disappointed like I was. Perhaps I just need to read fitness books instead if I want to get some additional weight loss/health inspiration.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 703.

June 27, 2011 – Shelved
June 27, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
June 27, 2011 –
page 96
31.58% "...though my edition is 290 pages..."
Started Reading
June 30, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ashley Rae (new)

Ashley Rae Sounds like an interesting book! How are you liking it so far?

Rachel It's really good in a sad sort of way. I at first wondered why she discussed her childhood, until I realized how it explained some of her habits as an adult. Stay tuned for the review, likely later this week!