Sunita Saldhana's Reviews > Fighting for Tara

Fighting for Tara by Sunanda J. Chatterjee

Nov 03, 2016

It has been a long time since a book actually made me so impatient to know what was going to happen, that I skipped pages and went ahead and then came back to read the pages I had missed. But I could not leave Hansa alone with her baby Tara, while the author took us off on a tangent from Rajasthan to San Francisco. With nail biting anxiety I followed the journey of the 13 year old child bride and mother as she struggled to keep her baby safe.
I have a new favourite author to add to my list! Sunanda Chaterjee has managed to bring out both the woman and the child in Hansa so beautifully. At thirteen she is a mother and her instinct to protect her baby gives her a maturity far beyond her years. Yet, it comes about so naturally as part of the story that when Hansa finally gets to act like the teenager she is, your heart just goes “aww my baby!”
A beautifully written story, it combines the traditional with the modern. On one hand it showcases the plight of the women in traditional cultures and on the other hand it throws light on the absurd demands that modern religions make on us as well. At the end of the day, it all depends on what one wants to follow and believe in and where you draw the line. Hansa refused to let tradition dictate whether her baby girl lived or not and years later, Anne would have to decide if she would allow her religion to choose if her baby lived or died.
After reading Fighting for Tara, I heaved a deep sigh of satisfaction! Finally a book that made me feel replete!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fighting for Tara.

October 18, 2016 – Started Reading