Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > Archangel's Shadows

Archangel's Shadows by Nalini Singh

Buddy read with my UF crew over at Buddies Books and Baubles

4.5 Honey Pot Stars

Ashwini and Janvier…YES!!! We are back on track. Okay so I’m straight up going to say that I really prefer the stories that aren’t centered on Elena and Raphael. The stories that have other characters as the main players seem to appeal more to me. That could just be because I we’ve had four stories centered on them or that I struggle with them as a couple sometimes. But Ash and Janvier’s story is too much fun.

He has been chasing her forever relentlessly and the more she struggles to keep distance between them the more devoted he is. But it isn’t in a creepy way it is always in a playful fun way that you know she wants him just as badly but is running away from it.
He’d tracked her down in remote corners of the world, aggravated her to the point where she’d once tied him up and emptied a large pot of honey on his head, before pretending to leave him for the insects.

Ash and Janvier spend this book working together to find something that has been stealing women and leaving them as husks of themselves. They don’t have a lot to go on so it could be a Vampire or an Angel causing this destruction in the aftermath of the war in the city. We the reader get some creeptastic insights into the mind the of thing doing this but that still doesn’t give away who/what it is.
Her eyes were drenched in terror.
Raising a hand, the one-who-waited stroked her cheek as her throat worked, the scream swallowed up by the pungent miasma of her fear.
“Not tonight.” A rasp, its throat a ruin. “I have fed.” The hunger came often, but the one-who-waited had learned to discipline that voracious need, because without discipline it would become a slave to those urges rather than a master of them.

I really liked the way this plot arc unfolded and how it added to the ongoing storyline of the cascade and how it is changing the power of some of the people.

Raphael and Elena make some appearances as Elena learns to deal with her mother in law and I liked the few things we found out about the Legion in this book. But the side character that totally stole the show was Nassir. I, like Elena, have no idea what he is but I am totally intrigued and really can’t wait to read his story.

There was this that made me think that Nassir is a little more animal than human/vampire whatever
“He'd never forget what Naasir had said to him when Dmitri yelled that he didn't intend to bury another child and that Naasir needed to have a care for his life.
“Am I a person, Dmitri? Will you be sad if I die?”
Hardened and cruel though he’d become, the innocent question had shaken him. “Yes,” he’d said, as honest in his answer as Naasir had been in his question. “You are a person. You are Naasir. I’ll lose a piece of me if you die and it’s a piece I’ll never get back.”
Naasir had stared at him for a long time before coming over to hug him. “Okay, Dmitri. I’m sorry. I didn't know I was a person before.”

And if that wasn’t enough later there was this.
“Naasir stretched lazily before settling back into his previous position. “I’m old enough now, and I want someone to play with like you play with Janvier and Raphael does with Elena. Even Dmitri plays with Honor.” This seemed to fascinate him. “The rules are secret in each game. I want to have secret rules with a woman who . . .” A long pause. “A woman who knows me, understands what I am, and who wants to have secret rules with me.”

I’m so interested in what that courtship/relationship is going to look like. Nassir might have even overshadowed Ash and Janvier a little as he was this cute third wheel to them sometimes.

There are a few others that I’m really interested in. Venom and Sorrow only got vague mentions in this book but I’m really excited to see the direction that Sorrow’s character eventually takes. Elena building a guard or magnificent seven of her own is getting a little fuller all of the time and I’m interested to see Vevick after his transformation.

Ash’s journey was a bit emotional and totally loved how and where they ended up by the end. This was one of those romances that you know they have been headed this direction for years so when the brakes are finally off and they go full tilt to the end it is believable.

Still Nassir’s book is next and I am beyond excited for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Shadows.

November 2, 2016 – Started Reading
November 2, 2016 – Shelved
November 3, 2016 –
6.0% "He'd tracked her down in remote corners of the world, aggravated her to the point where she’d once tied him up and emptied a large pot of honey on his head, before pretending to leave him for the insects.\nHe’d laughed in delight and cut himself free using a hidden blade, then chased her through the trees, threatening to make her lick every drop of the sweet, sticky stuff off his body.\n\nSticky Foreplay"
November 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Wonderful review, Robin!! LOL, we all loved Naasir :-) I can't wait for us to read his book!