Laura Jean's Reviews > Giant

Giant by Edna Ferber

bookshelves: 2016, kindle, library, satire, texas

I picked this up as a Texas Librarian who wanted to get a better idea about books set in Texas. I was further intrigued when I realized that it caused quite a scandal when it was published in 1952.
Giant Scandal article And although I agree with the author of this article that sometimes the Texans seemed more like caricatures, it was a charming novel with some really sharp understanding of human natured tucked away in it.

The protagonist's struggles acclimating herself to Texas and her husband reminded me a lot of Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. In both you have a young independent woman trying to be herself amidst stubbornly provincial husbands and communities.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giant.

November 2, 2016 – Started Reading
November 2, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle
November 2, 2016 – Shelved as: library
November 2, 2016 – Shelved as: satire
November 3, 2016 –
30.0% "I first heard of this book while reading Alaska by Michener. He had read her work of fiction about Alaska and then mentioned Giant. I felt I should read it and I'm so glad I am. It is a charming story. Even though I agree that the Texas are almost caricatures, there is a pseudo psychological approach I enjoy. I also had no idea it caused a scandal when published: https://www.texasobserver.org/giant-s..."
November 4, 2016 –