Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Final Girls

Final Girls by Riley Sager

47207032

liked it
bookshelves: from-publisher

I feel like the past 13 reviews I have written have been tough; they all are books that I don’t want to spoil for the reader and am having trouble putting the proper wording forward to describe my feelings. I’m going to try and be brief on this review, but I’ve found myself somewhere in the middle of the opinions I’m seeing spread out over the internet. Yes, if you are a regular reader of thrillers and mysteries you have a good chance of having the whodunnit figured out early on (I don’t want to say exactly when I had it figured out to avoid spoilers as it was very early on), but honestly it doesn’t matter as Final Girls is still a compulsive and addictive read.

Let me back up for a moment… As an avid reader in the Mystery/Thriller/Suspense genre (meaning I read on average 150-200 books in the genre per year), it’s getting difficult to find a book where the big twist is a complete surprise. I’m going to share a secret of mine, because it may help another reader as it’s helped me. After I read the unspecified section of the beginning of the book, I flipped to the end to see if my guesses were correct. GASP! Hold the torches and pitchforks! When I confirmed my suspicions, I realized the burden of expectation that we as readers place on a big, shocking reveal just became another aspect of the plot. I enjoyed the book even more than I would have with unrealistic expectations. All this to say, I’m glad I skipped ahead before reading the entire book as it allowed me to enjoy the journey just as much as the conclusion.

Being the huge fan of slasher films that I am, I was thrilled to see that this story stuck to the traditional formula that we find in movies such as Scream (my personal favorite) and Halloween. If there has ever been a book categorized as pure fun and entertainment, this is it! I found myself agreeing with most of the positive comments in friend’s reviews; I favored the flashback scenes and found myself completely lost in the story. If you are looking for a read to blow through in a weekend any time of the year, look no further. Here’s where I’ve seen people differing on their thoughts; some felt the characterization and present day scenes were slow going and not as gripping as the flashbacks. Here’s my take; the characterization, especially with Quincy, was my favorite part of the book! Call me weird, but I found myself lost in thought wondering what it would be like surviving something so horrifying and being left with the guilt of being the only one to live through it. Watching Quincy’s perfect facade slowly melt away once Sam enters her life again was quite literally breathtaking and the strongest story building pieces of the overall puzzle. This is what set apart Final Girls from similar horror stories that were B-rated at best.

If you’re on the fence about this one, just go ahead and read it. Everyone else is doing it-PEER PRESSURE!!! In all seriousness, you’ll have a hard time finding anything like it if you’re looking to be fully entertained. While this isn’t what true horror readers would classify as “horror”, it does contain aspects of the genre and would be a great bridge for those readers looking to dip their toes into darker waters. This will be especially appealing to readers who are fairly new to the thriller genre and looking for the next popular read to keep them guessing. I’m really excited to see what Riley Sager brings to the table next!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my copy; it was a pleasure to provide my honest thoughts here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Girls.

November 2, 2016 – Shelved
July 21, 2017 – Started Reading
July 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob That's next up in my the stack, hopefully it's good

Chelsea Humphrey Rob wrote: "That's next up in my the stack, hopefully it's good"

Cheers Rob; enjoy!

Vanessa Sorry to butt in, I just saw this in my update feed. I just finished this yesterday and loved it. It's not deep, but it's entertaining as Hell.

Mayke (acozyliving)☕️ It does sound really good. On my tbr!

Chelsea Humphrey Vanessa, never feel like you're butting in! I love it when people jump in!❤️

Vanessa Yay! Enjoy the book!

Abby Heffron I just started this too!!!!

Chelsea Humphrey Woo hoo! It's like a massive buddy read!

message 9: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Shwartz I'm currently reading the new Michael Connelly "The Late Show", but this is up next right after!

Chelsea Humphrey Oh that one sounds phenomenal Joe! Happy reading!

Dennis Loved this one! Enjoy!

Chelsea Humphrey Dennis wrote: "Loved this one! Enjoy!"

Thanks Dennis!

Bobbi I hope you like it more than I did. I just finished and wrote my review. Since I know you love thrillers as much as me, I'm curious to see if you have the same feeling I did about it.

Jennifer (Jen's Page Turners) I'm impressed you can read in the car! I get car sick if I do :/ I'm 150 pages in, and so intrigued by it so far :)

Miriam Smith I adored it, hope you do to Chelsea 👍

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks guys!

Jessica Next for my read!!! How you like it?

Chelsea Humphrey It was a highly entertaining read Jessica!

message 19: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima I won this book on Goodreads!

Chelsea Humphrey Congratulations Laima!

Autumn Are you going to do a review for this one? It's been on my to read list a while but I'm curious what you think!

Chelsea Humphrey Autumn wrote: "Are you going to do a review for this one? It's been on my to read list a while but I'm curious what you think!"

I sure am!

message 23: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan That is my biggest regret in life -- I cannot read in the car. lol! Hope it's a good one, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Morgan; I do feel really lucky to be able to read in the car!

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint I would have saved it for the secluded cabin! Enjoy!

Chelsea Humphrey Haha Sarah I know you would have!

Michael Would you recommend it to a picky rater like me?

Chelsea Humphrey Michael wrote: "Would you recommend it to a picky rater like me?"

I think at most this would be a 3 star read (if you were in a generous mood) Michael. 😂 We know each other's reviewing habits too well!

Sydney Major I just started this yesterday and didn't want to put it down! Definitely a fun easy read, but I don't have the killer figured out yet so apparently my sleuth skills are rusty 🤔

Chelsea Humphrey I hope you enjoy it as well Sydney! It's such an entertaining read!

message 31: by B (new) - rated it 3 stars

B I wish I would have enjoyed this more, it has such a great premise. I could see it as a movie as well, especially if they work on the pacing, because the middle was SO s-l-o-w. Glad you enjoyed it? And thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Chelsea Humphrey I agree B; part of my rating was due to the slow down in the middle.

message 33: by TJ (new)

TJ This was on my to-read list but I've been reading negative reviews about this book??? Is this worth it?

Bobbi TJ I would read it if you aren't expecting a seat of your pants thriller. There are some good parts, but like Chelsea said, its like an old school horror movie in book form.

Chelsea Humphrey TJ wrote: "This was on my to-read list but I've been reading negative reviews about this book??? Is this worth it?"

Bobbi wrote: "TJ I would read it if you aren't expecting a seat of your pants thriller. There are some good parts, but like Chelsea said, its like an old school horror movie in book form."

Perfect answer Bobbi! I personally love the old school horror films, so even with my issues it was still an enjoyable read.

Ashley I'm on Chapter 4 and it seems campy and cliche. I had it down to 2 suspects but thanks to another review I read, I was right. This chick seems like a hot fucking mess which makes me want to keep going, Bwahahahaha!

Chelsea Humphrey Ashley wrote: "I'm on Chapter 4 and it seems campy and cliche. I had it down to 2 suspects but thanks to another review I read, I was right. This chick seems like a hot fucking mess which makes me want to keep go..."

😂😂😂

message 38: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Jordan I gave this one 5 stars just because I had so much fun reading it. The end was predictable but I didn't see the earlier twist coming, so I did still get a surprise. This book had flaws yet I couldn't put it down.

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly When I'm able to "solve" it too early, it ruins a lot of the suspense. :(

Chelsea Humphrey Lisa wrote: "I gave this one 5 stars just because I had so much fun reading it. The end was predictable but I didn't see the earlier twist coming, so I did still get a surprise. This book had flaws yet I couldn..."

I agree Lisa! It's getting harder to rate books higher as I read more of them, but this one was very entertaining and I'm so glad you loved it!

Chelsea Humphrey Kimberly wrote: "When I'm able to "solve" it too early, it ruins a lot of the suspense. :("

It definitely takes away the wow factor most times. I think now I try not to even factor that in as it's getting harder to be surprised but it's hard not to sometimes.

message 42: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Chelsea wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "When I'm able to "solve" it too early, it ruins a lot of the suspense. :("

Exactly--when you read as much as some of us do, it's more difficult "not" to predict where things are headed, sometimes.

Chelsea Humphrey Very true Kim!

Ashley okay, I'm on page 163, Chapter 18, and I'm sick of all the Xanax talk. I also, for the life of me, cannot figure out why Quincy is letting this stranger live with her. Any why isn't the boyfriend more outraged by this?! I understand this is supposed to be campy, at least I think it is, but I'm just sick of reading characters who make outright STUPID decisions!

message 45: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Jordan It probably helps that I had a huge absence from fiction. I'm on break , so I'm enjoying pretty much anything that's not a textbook!!

Ashley What was the point of Quinn beating the shit out of the guy in Central Park? I got very uncomfortable reading that scene.

message 47: by lacy (new)

lacy I might give this a shot. I haven't read it yet but I did like your comment about the story building. It sounds like they are trying to recreate a typical slasher movie like Halloween or Scream. I used to get so frustrated with those movies because I want the action to actually happen. Then I realized that they were trying to build a story. it sounds like this book is doing that.

Chelsea Humphrey lacy wrote: "I might give this a shot. I haven't read it yet but I did like your comment about the story building. It sounds like they are trying to recreate a typical slasher movie like Halloween or Scream. I ..."

I completely understand that Lacy; I say give it a try! 🙌🏼

message 49: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Finally -- someone else wasn't thrilled with this one either! And I swear -- memory loss as a plot device -- I'm done with that.

Ashley Agreed, Denise!