Louize's Reviews > Before Ever After

Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto

3019973
Jun 27, 2011

Recommended for: Everyone

This is not a review. I’m simply thinking out loud.

I’ve chewed on my thoughts far too long. Yet, all my thoughts were merely reduced to one question: “Which came first, the chicken or the egg?”

No, do not laugh at me. I’m serious. Well, I am, (except) I think that is a less complicated question than “which came first, life or death?” Then, of course, you’ll reply: “It’s the circle of life.” I’ve seen all the Lion King movies too, and I also bow to Mufasa’s wisdom; but another wiser being also said that “being born and dying are the easier parts, living in between is the hardest.” If living is hard, then living forever sucks! Right?

Maximillian’s immortal life is a consequence… a history in itself. It was written all over Europe. Marked by death; but highlighted with simple, yet profound details. Treading through his history was a discovery, discovering his life is a choice.

Max chose Shelly; and Shelly did choose to be with Max. Twice, she made that choice. She never wants to live forever; she simply wants to be with Max, happily ever after.

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Or, which came first, life or death? It is only through death that “ever after” is possible.

This book is more than a love story; neither a simple history, nor fantasy. It made me think more than twice; made me wish, regret, hope, and back again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Ever After.

June 27, 2011 – Shelved
August 12, 2011 – Started Reading
August 16, 2011 –
page 49
16.55% ""We change at least one person's life just by being born. If you don't believe me, go ask your mother." Chapter 3, Campers and Caveats"
August 24, 2011 –
page 123
41.55% "A crypt, a barge, a barn, and a monastery! From London to Austria."
August 26, 2011 – Finished Reading

Apokripos The bird comes first before the egg. :)

message 2: by Louize (last edited Sep 05, 2011 07:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louize jzhunagev wrote: "The bird comes first before the egg. :)"

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Jzhun! :))))

Tintin To be or not to be, that is the question :)

Kwesi 章英狮 The second to the last line is confusing. I suggest that we have a short discussion of the book next meet-up.

Louize Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "The second to the last line is confusing. I suggest that we have a short discussion of the book next meet-up."

Yay! Sure.

Emir wrote: "So many good review for BEA already. Hope to read this one day."

Go! Para kasama ka sa discussion.

Apokripos Agree with the book discussion of this.
I'm interested to hear your opinions regarding (view spoiler)

Kwesi 章英狮 You already know that we have the same speculation about the Epilogue but I'm not sure with the other one. Hey, try to ask the author of the book through twitter or email her about the spoiler thing.

Louize Oh, I almost forgot...
Reading this book was relatively like American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Let's play "spot-the-likeness" sa meet-up. :)

Apokripos Louize wrote: "Oh, I almost forgot...
Reading this book was relatively like American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Let's play "spot-the-likeness" sa meet-up. :)"

Talaga? I may lose on this game as I haven't read the book yet. :'(

Kwesi 章英狮 Same with Jzhun.

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Oh don't worry. Because many of us have read and liked this book, this will definitely come out.

Maybe we can come as characters of this book. So, yong attire natin pedeng si Simon, Shelley, Max, young bulag na monk, Antoine, o chicken, etc.