Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Romanovs: 1613-1918

The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore

bookshelves: historical-nonfiction, nonfiction

This biography was a huge undertaking. Not just to read, but also to write. Montefiore covered over 300 years of history. He could have spent the 700 pages he had writing about just one of these tsars or empresses. It was just amazing.

My interested in the Romanov dynasty has always been around Anastasia and her siblings. I was a product of the 90s. I watched that dang musical so many times. I loved that story. It broke my heart when I found out what really happened. From there, I've read about her parents, a wider reading of the events around her life and death, and branched out to Catherine the Great.

Reading this book was a lot of hard work but it was very rewarding. I loved that Montefiore broke it into different parts and those parts had their own specific family tree. There's one at the beginning that shows, really, only the rulers. But the section family trees showed so much more. I studied them and referred back to them so many times. Each chapter also comes with a character list that tells you who the person is, any nicknames they might have, and their relation to other people.

From reading this book, I know that I'm going to want to read more. I want to read about the early empresses who took the throne from their brothers or cousins in their minority years. I want to read more about Alexander III. Really, this book expanded my knowledge of Russia and definitely has made me want to delve further into its history.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romanovs.

November 1, 2016 – Shelved
November 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 1, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-nonfiction
November 1, 2016 – Shelved as: nonfiction
June 19, 2019 – Started Reading
June 20, 2019 –
page 77
9.82% "I'm surprised by how easy it is to read this! It's not that difficult for me to pick up."
June 22, 2019 –
page 135
17.22% "This really is very easy to read."
June 23, 2019 –
page 193
24.62% "I didn't know crapulent was a word until today."
June 24, 2019 –
page 279
35.59% "My plan is to get to Act 3 of the book tonight."
June 27, 2019 –
page 385
49.11% "I read about a chapter per day. Some of the chapters are 70+ pages. Very good, but it's super dense. I love that he has very detailed family trees at the start of each section and specific list of people for each chapter."
June 27, 2019 –
page 487
62.12% "I can't believe I'm already on Nicholas II."
June 30, 2019 – Finished Reading