Nicole Field's Reviews > The Queer and the Restless

The Queer and the Restless by Kris Ripper

Jan 02, 2017

bookshelves: netgalley

NetGalley Review

This novel could almost be the first in a completely new set, from tone alone. Obviously, it is the third novel in Kris Ripper's Queers of La Vista set, but this is where we start to get onto the serial murder aspect that kinda got buried in The Butch and the Beautiful but was originally touched on in Gays of Our Lives. Props for the titles of this series, though, really.

We've got our first trans protagonist in this novel, and I liked the amount of detail that went into Ed's thoughts on whether he passed and his transition up to this point, as well as his interactions both with family members and with work in the lead up to Alisha's introduction.

This novel far better blended the love interest with the main character's life. It also helped that I quite liked both of them. The two of them seem, at the beginning at least, to be looking for similar things, and I found it interesting that Alisha originally identified as a lesbian but was happy to put that label aside and that it wasn't made a huge big fuss of overall.

As the novel went on, the two of them were also able to compromise as it became clear that their similarities were not going to completely make up for the differences between them.

I found myself surprisingly liking the grad students that Ed lived with, and of course there are cameos from Honey, Cameron and Obie who I loved in other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queer and the Restless.

November 1, 2016 – Shelved