cyborgcinderella's Reviews > As I Descended

As I Descended by Robin Talley

bookshelves: dnf

DNF at around 56%

Okay so I was super excited about this. A modern retelling of Macbeth? With a super diverse cast? Awesome!

Unfortunately, this book was so BORING. I was not interested in anything that happened. There were a few things here or there that picked the story up slightly, but for the most part I was just thoroughly bored by what was happening.

I couldn't connect with any of the characters. I hated the main couple, which was so disappointing because how often do you get to read about an interracial lesbian couple where one of them is disabled? That's right, you don't. But I didn't like them. At all. Not as people and not as a couple. I didn't like any of the other characters either, despite the fountain of diversity we were given. That was kind of the only redeeming thing about this book. The diversity. Too bad it couldn't make up for such an awful story.

I also just felt like the characters and the setting were just caricatures. They felt so flat and so unrealistic and just so out there and I just couldn't believe any of it.

And truthfully, the modern setting, for me anyways, made all of the stuff that happens just feel really bizarre, far-fetched, and unrealistic too. I think people should just stick to Macbeth because this does not do it justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Descended.

Finished Reading
October 31, 2016 – Shelved
April 22, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku Ugh! Boring is the worst. I'm sorry this fell flat for you-- and I'm proud of
You for DNF'ing! Not enough people do this.

message 2: by Lara xoxo (new)

Lara xoxo nice reveow xoxo sorry it was not what u wanted or expected xoxo