Shayantani Das's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

bookshelves: favorite
Read from June 26 to 30, 2011

5+++++++++++ stars...
As Mrs Croft said"SPLENDID" :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.

Quotes Shayantani Liked

Jhumpa Lahiri
“Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.”
Jhumpa Lahiri, Interpreter of Maladies

Jhumpa Lahiri
“While the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination." (from "The Third and Final Continent")”
Jhumpa Lahiri, Interpreter of Maladies

06/27/2011 page 16
06/30/2011 page 127
64.0% "only 2 stories left.."
10/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I should read this soon! Thanks!

Shayantani Das Your welcome! I hope you like it, but I think you should start with Namesake; it really gives you an idea of her writing style... She writes in a very simplistic yet poignant way, and I am aware that many people I know will think of the descriptions as lengthy and boring, I think you won’t, since you liked Atonement, but Namesake, is according to me her best work:D

message 3: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Okay, I will read "Namesake" sometime this month :)

But should I read Gogol first?

Shayantani Das Gogol? well its the name of a character from the book, actually its the main protagonist of this novel..what about him?

message 5: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Gogol was a Russian writer and I thought I should read a novel by him so I would be able to appreciate "Namesake" more. However, looks like it is not needed based on your reaction. :)

Shayantani Das Yeah, you don't really need to read Gogol to appreciate Namesake, although Gogol is a fantastic author, I have read The Overcoat and I loved it, but yeah, you won't need it to enjoy Namesake..

message 7: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Tanu. Is the woman in your picture really you?

Shayantani Das Ha-ha, no not even close, its Hermione, err Emma Watson, from Harry Potter :d

Shayantani Das this one in the new picture is me:p

message 10: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely You're pretty! :)

Shayantani Das Thanks:D

Pragya 5 stars!! Looks like I need to read this.

Srinivas 5+ starts.thats WOW. i added it my to-read list.

Shayantani Das @Pragya and Srinivas: yes yes yes, read it! read it!

message 15: by Aristotle (new)

Aristotle I have always had a bitter experience with Indian authors..but since you rated it 5, I think I'll have to go for it...:D