Wallace's Reviews > In Stitches

In Stitches by Anthony Youn

Jun 26, 2011

bookshelves: review-copy, memoir, non-fiction, humorous
Recommended to Wallace by: given to me by publicist
Read from June 26 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

Type: {Beach Read: fluffy, mindless, or easy to read.}
Rating: {I’m Lovin’ It: Very entertaining!}

Why You’re Reading It:

- You’re in the mood to laugh.
- You’re a geek (or at least a secret one).
- You’re interested in what the journey to becoming a doctor is like.
- You’ve seen Dr. Youn on TV and you’re already a fan.

What I Thought:

Funny, funny, funny. I really got a kick out of this book and looked forward to reading it each time I picked it up. It was a quick, easy, humorous read. I enjoy Dr. Youn’s voice throughout the book and adored how he played up his geeky side — my inner geek connected with his outer geek. On top of the humor, I found his journey through school fascinating. I enjoy learning while reading and I felt like I got quick glimpses into the world of medical school (and what it takes to get there) throughout this short book. It felt a little like I was reading Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother from the child’s perspective – but funnier and lighter. (Youn is Korean, not Chinese).

While highly entertaining, this book is written in conversational tone, so if you prefer beautiful prose, this is not your pick. However, if you like a light, chatty style of writing, you will enjoy this. It may be hard for the squeamish to read; I felt myself making my grossed out face during a few parts. For instance when Youn started mentioning a bin of hands (yes, hands) in his classroom, I started feeling a little lightheaded. I made it through (happy and entertained) so most of you will be able to as well. Believe me, anything bloody or medical pretty much freaks me out and I was fine. Plus, the tone of the book, and the entertainment factor, were well worth the few gory parts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Stitches.