Veronica of V's Reads's Reviews > Claimed by the Mate, Vol. 1

Claimed by the Mate, Vol. 1 by Kate Douglas

bookshelves: adult, contemporary, paranormal-romance, shifter, steamy, thriller

This book is a two-fer of BBW shifter romance. One wild erotic ride, and one suspenseful adventure. Both stories can be read on their own.

FERAL PASSIONS is the first story, and I liked it best. Cherry has always been put down for her weight and has a painful past with men. She's conned into a week-long vacation by her sister and her sister's BFF. While staying at the beautiful, isolated, mountainous wolf reserve, Feral Passions, Cherry is stunned and suspicious of the interest she receives from two of the ranch hands, Brad and Cain. Both men are stunningly beautiful, as are the rest of the staff. Cherry was approached by a good looking man before, and he tore her world apart, so she's loath to accept their overtures--until she decides to follow her heart and treat this as a fling.

Brad and Cain share a secret with their fellow males on Feral Passions land-they are werewolves. Capable of shifting into their wolf forms at will, they entertain the female-only clientele in the hopes of finding a mate. For Brad and Cain this is more of a challenge, as they are themselves a couple, and looking for a third. Could Cherry be The One? They have a very sexy week trying to convince her.

This is a lighthearted breezy read with lots of sexytimes and a bit of minor conflict. I loved how Cherry was a bright woman, and had those guys all figured out! I also loved how sensual the sexytimes were, and Cherry's willingness to accept Brad and Cain as a pair. Delish! 4 Stars.

THE ALPHA'S WOMAN was not my favorite, but still interesting.

Kira is an Alpha female, raised to the perfect mate to an Alpha, but there isn't an Alpha in her current pack for her to mate. Her current Alpha is her father, and he's turned his back on her, allowing his Betas to assault her in the attempt to claim the top of the pecking order. She flees and ends up dragged into a new pack, against her will. Blaez is an Alpha who will never claim a mate. His parents tried that, and were destroyed by vengeful Greek gods, leaving Blaez and orphan. He can't bear to lose another family, but he also won't leave Kira on her own, knowing some other pack will claim or kill her.

This story has a lot of world building and mythology that doesn't advance the romance. Most of the time Kira and Blaez were at odds, and unhappy with Blaez's highhandedness--yes, Blaez even made himself angry. The story jumped a bit, and left me wanting more romance, for sure. That said, I enjoyed the end. 3 Stars.

I received a review copy of this book via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed by the Mate, Vol. 1.

Started Reading