Grace's Reviews > The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises

The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell

Recommended for: any writer, new or experienced, young or old, published or not

This was such a helpful little book!

It is divided into three sections: the first focuses on the mental part of being a writer, the second on craft, and the third on the publishing industry and business. I found the third section especially helpful because, as a young writer, the industry is a big mystery to me. I will reference this book frequently when I begin to seek out publishing.

Each section is divided into short, numbered tips for that section's particular focus. The divisions made the book easy to read even for someone who doesn't have long chunks of time very often; I could pick it up, read one or two sections, and easily stop and come back to it later without it feeling disorienting or choppy.

I was very excited to see that it had an index...otherwise it would be near impossible to navigate. With the index, I don't have to try to remember everything the book said but can just look up tips if I have a problem or don't know how to do something.

This book will have a place on my desk within arm's reach and become an often-used reference material. Highly recommended for any writer!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of War for Writers.

October 31, 2016 – Started Reading