Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

DNF'd

Well, that was a thing. Darkfever is the story of MacKayla Lane. After her sister is mysteriously killed during her study abroad program in Dublin, Mac is off to find out what happened. It looks to the police like the poor girl got into drugs and mixed up with some bad people. Once Mac gets to Dublin, she quickly finds out there is far more to this than meets the eye. Mac and her family are descended from a tribe of people who can see the Fae for what they are. Glamour doesn't work on Mac. And it's due to this power that she is about to accidentally get caught up in a war.

I reached 25% and I still didn't care about this book. Moning spent a lot of time talking about how Mac dresses and how attractive she is. The characters were flat and poorly described (other than Mac's clothing). The plot was moving slower than molasses, and I thought, perhaps, the writing was juvenile-- However, I was intrigued in the mystery. What was happening? Why was her sister (so obviously) murdered? Why was Mac seeing Fae sometimes?

Yet… by the time I had hit 42% nothing had improved. Mac had become more annoying. She was shallow, but attempting to seem intellectual. We had been introduced to Barron by this time, and I hated him. I didn't understand his existence. He came across as abusive and frustrating. I know at some point he'll "grow into" the swoony alpha male. Which I detest.

So, yes. I stopped. The plot wasn't moving forward. The writing was certainly coming across as juvenile by that point. The characters were uninteresting, but the plot was even more so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

October 11, 2016 – Started Reading
October 30, 2016 – Shelved
October 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 30, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 11, 2016 –
42.0% "I'm seriously considering a DNF. I just don't care for any of these characters or the writing."
December 27, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016