Sam Thoms's Reviews > Misery

Misery by Stephen King

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, library-read

It took me forever to read this book. I started it on eBook and the beginning was so slow that it took me forever to even get halfway. This may have also had to do with the amount of school work I had but I also wasn't driven to pick this book up. However, I didn't want to give up so I picked up the audiobook and finished it up that way. And boy did the story ever pick up! It may have started slow but the second half became wildly disturbing.

This is a very closed story. It pretty well takes place inside one room and occasionally it'll adventure a few feet outside the room. I found that this closed situation didn't keep me super engaged. Which surprised me because I love movies that are enclosed thrillers, but for some reason that same enjoyment didn't translate to this book. I did find I enjoyed it more once I started the audiobook, but I think it's mostly just due to the fact I was getting to the parts with more thrilling elements.

I do think this was a good book. It did get pretty disturbing in the end so be wary of that. I found the disturbing aspects made the ending more engaging because I just needed to know what was going to happen to Paul and Annie. You can never tell where King is going to take a story so I had to know how this story ended. If you like Stephen King and classic horror, then check this out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misery.

October 30, 2016 – Shelved