Jen (Books that Spark)'s Reviews > Circus of the Damned

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jun 26, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in June, 2011

Circus of the Damned is the third instalment in Laurell K. Hamilton's acclaimed Anita Blake series. Before picking up this instalment, I recommend reading the prior two books in the series to allow the plot to run in a coherent manner. This will save from confusion in relation to the background of the plot and characters.

In this instalment protagonist Anita Blake, whose profession is as a animator and vampire executioner, is caught in the middle and left to deal with the consequences when a rogue vampire is on the loose and is killing citizens of St. Louis in an attempt to challenge the Master of the City, Jean-Claude.

With each book I feel the series is growing from strength to strength. Anita Blake is a strong female protagonist whose sense of humour and dedication to her work and morals makes her viewpoint interesting and exciting to read from. As usual, the book has a lot of suspense throughout mixed with plenty of action. As a result, the plot is fast-paced which made me reluctant to put it down.

I remain compelled with Anita's relationship with Jean-Claude, however it was great to see that Hamilton upped her game by introducing a potential love interest for Anita. Richard Zeeman is a handsome junior high-school teacher who, alike Anita, is mixed up with the monsters. The circumstances in which they meet hints that there is more to come. Could this cause some friction between Anita, Jean-Claude and Richard?

I found this instalment the best of the series so far. It gave me the confidence to purchase more books in the series and I now have them on order up until the eleventh. It was such a compelling page turner and as a result I'm finding this series hard to resist!

booksthatspark.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circus of the Damned.