Ruby's Reviews > Goliath

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: teen, steampunk

This review was first posted on http://www.rubysreads.com.

It's been a while since I've read Steampunk, and probably longer since I've reviewed any. Scott Westerfeld is definitely the writer to make me question why this is so. I love the combination of technologies--both mechanical and biological--that are at war in this series. It's truly a unique addition to the genre, and I'm sorry to see the end of it.
Scott Westerfeld is a genius at world-building. This series has, in part, reminded me once or twice of Kenneth Oppel's Airborn in that both books feature a character more comfortable in the air than on the ground. But each author takes the concept of a dirigible, and runs with it in an entirely different direction. If you haven't read Airborn, by the way, you can't really call yourself a fan of Steampunk. Joking--you can, but it's a book you shouldn't miss.
I don't know how I managed to let another book hijack my review of Goliath. I'm just not sure what I want to say about this book. It flowed brilliantly during the first three quarters and I was glued to my computer screen--and I hate reading on the computer. However: the end didn't quite satisfy me. As much as I loved the Steampunk aspect of the story, and even found the action bits pretty compelling, the center of this book was Alek and Deryn's relationship. Oh, hold on a second. This is probably a good time to insert:

WARNING! THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE SERIES!

In Leviathan, we met the cast. In Behemoth, we got to know them a little better, and in Goliath we follow them to the end of their journey. Was I sastified by the ending? Yes and no. It's got a happy ending--the ending I wanted--but I realized, on reaching the last page, that there were some elements that I didn't like.
As I mentioned, the element of the story that I followed most keenly was the romance. Without being conscious of what I was doing, I was hoping that Deryn would have a chance to be female. For her to wear women's clothing, and to be treated as a woman. Without it, the novel is incomplete for me. I'm not saying that Deryn needed to be more feminine in order for the romance to work, but that I wished that she had had a chance of it. It's not supposed to be important--Alek loves Deryn the way she is--but I still wanted to see it.
Also, I was irritated to discover that Dr. Barlow didn't know that Deryn was a girl. I think we were led to believe that she did and my emotional, sulky self felt that Westerfeld did this on purpose. And not in a fun, "Aw, snap!" kind of way. But I may be influenced by the fact that some of Scott Westerfeld's tweets suggest the man has a healthy ego. Which brings me to the most interesting point of my review--how much did my opinion of the author influence my opinion of the book. Dude, you might as well ask me that chicken-or-the-egg question because I sure as shootin' don't know.
I'll be curious to know what my fellow Leviathan trilogy fans think of Goliath. Yeah, Logan. I'm looking at you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goliath.