Shdnx's Reviews > Kitty Goes to Washington

Kitty Goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn

Jun 26, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, about-shapeshifters, about-werewolves, about-magic, paranormal, urban-fantasy
Read from June 26 to 28, 2011

Actual rating: 4.25/5.0 stars

That was a good one. An excellent sequel to Kitty and the Midnight Hour! I always get a little worried when reading sequels, because they are usually not as good as the first books of their series, but I found it not to be the case here. In fact, I have enjoyed this book more than the first one!

The world is opening up quite well: we were just scratching the surface in the first book, but now we see that there is a lot more to it than we initially realized.

The plot primarily revolves around the supernatural beings (werewolves and vampires mainly) getting publicity - a process first started by Kitty herself, in her show The Midnight Hour (see the first book). Immediately power struggles arise as people all want to use this for their purposes - for some, it's wealth or fame; for others, it's purely power. And Kitty finds herself right in the middle of it.
The story was quite good, there were quite some unexpected turn of events and it also has its share of exciting moments. There are also what I would call 'episodes' - stories within the story, that were only marginally related to the main plot.

There were a lot of new characters, which is great, although we only really get to know a few of them well, which is just as right. There is also a sort of romantic trail, but it's mostly neglected, which is just as well. There are way too many all-romantic books in this genre than it's healthy.

My biggest problem with the book was that I missed the werewolf packs. We get to see some of the pack dynamics in the first book, but it's really something that would deserve some more attention in my view. Wolfs are supposed to live in packs, by their nature - and werewolves are much like wolfs. Or, at least, they are supposed to be. This is purely personal preference, so I don't count it in my rating.

Overall, it's a fun, entertaining read, a definite page-turner. It would be a sin not to read it if you have already read the first book. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Goes to Washington.