Alex 's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: fantasy-and-scifi, series, movies

I am going to say 4.5 stars. In the beginning I thought it was a little dull. It was making me weary and sleepy reading it. I actually stopped in the middle of chapters because I couldn't read anymore. I hate that! I kept moving, though. I am determined to finish this trilogy. I should have known this book would have taken me longer to read than expected. The movies took me nine days to finish. Don't judge. I was pregnant during that time and very sleepy.

I am very glad I kept going, because the last half of the book was amazing. My heart still hurts for the company. The book was written very well. It was beautiful. The world that Tolkien created amazes me. The scenery was so beautiful that the imagery I thought up stung my eyes. How did he come up with the places and people? How/where did he get the imagery? It was so detailed that it simply baffles me. I can't even describe a place that is real, let alone imagine a whole tree city. I could imagine all the scenes. All the travels. Sometimes it was information overload, but it was great. Even in the first half of the book there was that looming evil presence of the Riders that kept me enticed to know what happened. Sometimes I looked over my shoulder to see if I was being watched. You can't get any better than that.

So, I don't think I can trust shadows anymore. Thanks Tolkien! Can't wait to start the next part of the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

October 29, 2016 – Started Reading
October 29, 2016 – Shelved
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy-and-scifi
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: series
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: movies
November 1, 2016 –
page 27
5.9% ":) Adventure time."
November 8, 2016 –
page 72
15.72% "I am back on track. I am ready for an excellent adventure. Let the walking begin."
November 9, 2016 –
page 110
November 11, 2016 –
page 175
38.21% "This will take longer than I thought it would. Oh well, I wont rush it."
November 12, 2016 –
page 223
November 13, 2016 –
page 245
53.49% "Rivendell! Rivendell!\n\n[image error] photo jWxEj_zpsqptmifsr.gif"
November 14, 2016 –
page 284
62.01% "Information overload."
November 15, 2016 –
page 317
69.21% "[image error] photo son-of-a-bitch_zps7ysxrd5x.jpg\n\nFrodo's internal reaction."
November 16, 2016 –
page 360
78.6% "The tunnels of Moria."
November 17, 2016 –
page 396
86.46% "My heart hurts...."
November 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta You've read this before, right Alex? I have them on my dining room table!! I need motivation! Ugh!!!

Alex No I haven't. This is my first time reading them.

Celeste Yay! You finished! I'm about 80 pages or so behind you!

Alex Celeste wrote: "Yay! You finished! I'm about 80 pages or so behind you!"

Right! Good luck to you. Now I will be watching Benny & Joon.

Celeste Yay! I really hope you like it. One of the cutest movies ever.

And, by the way, I loved your review. Great job!

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ Terrific review love! xo

Alex Thanks Celeste! Thanks Danielle!

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review, Alex!! :D

Alex Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review, Alex!! :D"

Thanks! It was a fun read

message 10: by Alex (last edited Nov 18, 2016 10:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review, Alex!! :D"

Btw. Every time I see your picture pop up I think of Rocky Horror Picture shows. Then I have a nice giggle to myself because it is a great movie.

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Alex Farrand wrote: "Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review, Alex!! :D"

I had someone else tell me that recently. I never even thought of that. Lol

Alex Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Alex Farrand wrote: "Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review, Alex!! :D"

lol. That is funny.

Holden Johnson great review Alex!

Alex Thank you!

message 15: by Seth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth Solmes Tolkien has a rich, vivid imagination that sets most writers to shame---myself included. Though his narrative can get a bit foggy at times, it's all worth it for the beautiful language and characters that inhabit famed Middle Earth. If you're interested in Middle Earth and want to sink your teeth into a fabulously fashioned story, I recommend The Silmarilion. It's absolutely stunning.

Alex I was thinking about it. Thanks!

Alex Thanks Leslie!

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell I may have to reread the series, this time with Howard Shore's film scores in the background. I have read the trilogy twice.

Alex That is awesome Gary. This is my first time reading the series.

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell I have the BBC radio adaptation of The Hobbit, which needs another listen.

message 22: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago At the risk of being spat upon from a great height, I really can't be doing with TLOTR. But I did love the Hobbitbwhen I was a kid...

Alex Jane Jago wrote: "At the risk of being spat upon from a great height, I really can't be doing with TLOTR. But I did love the Hobbitbwhen I was a kid..."

The hobbit was a fun book to read.

Matthew Great review! I would agree that with Tolkien there is a fine line between brilliance and boredom.

Alex Lmao. Perfectly put Matthew.

Kevin I think you probably will find Book 4 (the second part of the Two Towers) rather slow as well. Power through it. Tolkien sets the scene for Book 5...your catharsis awaits.

Alex 😁 I don't remember if I thought those books were slow or not. I loved every minute of it, though.