Lit Coven's Reviews > Wintersong

Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones

liked it
bookshelves: 2017-read, standalones, diverse-reads, main-reads

“The kiss is sweeter than sin and fiercer than temptation. I am not gentle, I am not kind; I am rough and wild and savage. I bite, I nip, I lick, I devour. I want and I want and I want and I want. I hold nothing back.”

Wintersong is beautifully written. The prose is vivid and visceral, dark and musical. S.J. Jones’ voice comes through loud and strong. She infuses every word with sensation and emotion. A touch is never just a touch. A sound is never just a sound. She brings the world to life with language.

And for some of us, that was more than enough. But reviews were definitely mixed within the Coven. Over all, we could agree on Wintersong’s beauty, but some of our members had a few aspects of the novel they just couldn’t jive with.

Let’s start with our girl Leisl…
Leisl goes on quite an emotional journey throughout Wintersong. She begins as the eldest sister, the practical, hardworking sister in her family. She constantly compares herself to her sister’s beauty and her brother’s musical talent, constantly finding herself lacking. A few of our witches had issues with Leisl’s constant angst. For others…that was just part of her journey.

As a talented musician herself, Leisl has a fascinating way of seeing the world. Music is woven into her voice. She interacts with the people and environment around her in terms of notes, melodies, and rhythms. Composing music is a fascinating part of who she is, and S.J. Jones brings that to life on every page.

And for our leading man, the Goblin King.
The Goblin King was a complicated, mysterious, and many-layered character…a man of many masks, you could say. At times, he was cold and cruel, others he was mischievous, then tragic and selfless. Again, he got mixed reviews from the Coven. We couldn’t decide if he was too conniving and crazy-making, or was he heart-breakingly tragic?!

However…the chemistry between these two characters was tangible. I mean, do you need anything more than the following quote?

“A breath on the back of my neck. I am dizzy, I sway, but I stand. A breath, then a kiss. I cannot see, but I know it is him. The Goblin King.

I lean into him, but he holds me upright. He murmurs my name down my neck, down my spine, his long elegant fingers traveling along the curves of my hips, my waist.”

That HEAT made us blush…Not a good look for those with green skin.

The most fascinating aspect of Wintersong (other than the prose)…
This novel was filled with interesting messages for all women. As a Coven, we picked them apart on discussion day. Whether S.J. Jones intended for these or not, here are a few of our favorites:

#1, Wintersong is about a young woman finding herself.  More than deciding who she is or who she wants to be, Leisl works through a lot of big questions.

Is she more than her family? Does she deserve to follow her passion? Who is she without those two things? Does beauty matter? Is there more than one type of beauty? What is love? What should one sacrifice for love?

She goes through a hell of a lot, but finds strength and confidence within herself along the way.

Second, we love to see a woman coming up against the rules her society imposes on women and finding ways to kick the door down. Go, witch, go!

Last but not least, Wintersong is about a girl who is beautiful on the inside, and a man who is able to see and value that. And Leisl comes to believe that this is possible, as she comes to terms with her own identity.

“The grief shattered me, broke me into sharp jagged pieces….

But I was already whole. I was Elisabeth, entire, even if I was Elisabeth, alone. The knowledge of it gave me strength.”

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintersong.

October 29, 2016 – Shelved