Lit Coven's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

liked it
bookshelves: series, 2017-read, diverse-reads, main-reads

Although it pains us to give any work of the Dark Queen Bardugo less than a glowing review, we have to say we liked, but didn’t love, Shadow and Bone.

Things moved a little slowly for our taste and Alina needed a bit of a confidence boost. We’d personally like to introduce her to Nina and Inej...they’d do her a bit of good.

Hell, they would do us all a bit of good.

We will give it to Alina though, she finds out she’s is someone very special, she’s taken away from the life she built for herself, thrown into a viper’s den, and every time she seems to get her bearings, the rug is pulled out from under her again.

And as for the lead viper himself…

The Darkling. We aren’t quite sure how we feel about him just yet. Is he just a power hungry maniac? Does he truly care? There is more to his past and more to come between him and Alina.

Could it be so simple as like calls to like, power calls to power? We shall see...

Also, what is Mal’s deal? He gave us a distinct Gale from the Hunger Games vibe. He was a little too jealous, a little too predictable...but he is also more than what he seems. Will he turn out to be another Grisha?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

Quotes Lit Coven Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.”
Leigh Bardugo, Shadow and Bone
tags: mal

Leigh Bardugo
“The problem with wanting," he whispered, his mouth trailing along my jaw until it hovered over my lips, "is that it makes us weak.”
Leigh Bardugo, Shadow and Bone