Lit Coven's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

liked it
bookshelves: 2017-read, series, main-reads

Howl’s gave us a lot of mixed feelings.

A few of us really enjoyed the book, but others were left barely able to get through the first few chapters.

So let’s break it down...

Howl’s was a cute, fast, fun, imaginative, and charming read for those who finished.

The concept was original but the story itself was fairly unpredictable. The castle was GENIUS, who wouldn’t want to move and a door that opened to different places at the turn of a knob?

About dem characters...
Howl and Calcifer were our favorites. Their relationship and personalities make the story better.

In the beginning we almost connected with Sophie because we too hate large crowds of people, but her negative attitude was a downer. She was certain there was no hope for her because she was the oldest of three siblings. Then after meeting Howl and his castle, Sophie seemed to almost give up and was content on being the cleaning lady forever.

This is not something we as a Coven would normally read and maybe that had to do with the way we connected, or didn’t in this case, to the story. For the most part, those of us who couldn’t get into the book just had a hard time with the writing. It was written before most of us were born and we could tell during our read.

We did come out with two morals to the story:

1. You can find magic anywhere.

2. There is always more too someone's story than what appears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.

Quotes Lit Coven Liked

Diana Wynne Jones
“I think we ought to live happily ever after.”
Diana Wynne Jones, Howl's Moving Castle