Lit Coven's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: series, 2017-read, diverse-reads, main-reads

Six of Crows is wicked good!

What isn’t there to love in a book full of:
- Assassins and Thieves
- Anti-heroes
- General badassery
- Angsty romance
- Unbelievable odds
- Fascinating characters
- Plot twists

Nothing. There is literally nothing not to love.

As Inej always says, “Better terrible truths than kind lies.”

The Crew
First, the very best part of Six of Crows, the merry band of thieves...
“A gambler, a convict, a wayward son, a lost Grisha, a Suli girl who had become a killer, a boy from the Barrel who had become something worse.”

Kaz Brekker - ringleader, schemer, and creepy smart teenager

Inej Ghafa - the gravity defying Wraith, the dreamer

Nina - curvy, vivacious, and flirtatious, a Heartrender from Ravka

Matthias - tall, blonde, and handsome, a former soldier from Fjerda.

Can we pause for a second?

Did Matthias not have the world’s most EPIC entrance in the history of ever? We won’t spoil it for you…but that entrance alone is worth reading Six of Crows for.

description

Jesper - college dropout, sharp shooter, and 2nd runner up for Biggest Flirt award.

Wylan- rich kid, demo expert, and all around innocent. But the Crows are about to change that...

#squadgoals

Seriously, we wanted to hang out with this crew of lovable miscreants...although, if we’re being honest, Jesper’s energy and Kaz’s schemes would be more than a little exhausting.

In reality, though, those are the faces each of the characters wants us to see, but each of them has secrets on top of tragedy on top of more secrets. Not only are they multi-dimensional and interesting, but Bardugo also worked in tons of diversity.

Now we won’t give away who’s who, but here’s some examples of the unique and diverse characteristics of the Crows.

PTSD
- A physical disability
- Tough, independent, kickass women
- Multiple people of color
- A victim of sexual abuse
- A victim of emotional and verbal abuse
- A curvy, plus-sized woman
- Bisexuality/Homosexuality
- Addiction
- Overcoming bias and prejudice

Now. About that good, good lovin.

description

Six of Crows has some swoon-worthy ships that lasted from Kerch to Ravka and back, and they gave us all the feels!

Does anyone else tear up thinking of Kaz and Inej, Dirtyhands and the Wraith? Just us?

Kaz and Inej worked like yin and yang, one dark and vicious, the other full of hope and morals...well, as many morals as you can have living on the greedy streets of Ketterdam. We loved that these two damaged souls were able to have so much trust in each other. But...trust, and maybe even love, isn’t always enough to overcome some scars.

(view spoiler)

Nina and Matthias have their own bit of drama to deal with. They’ve got a super complicated past, both together and apart. They come from countries that have been at war for far longer than they’ve been alive and they struggle with a ton of preconceived notions and bias. But they’re just too good to not work out...right?!

(view spoiler)

And for the 3rd and final bit of romance… (view spoiler)

Now romantic love wasn’t the only kind of love that the Coven was digging in Six of Crows…

Nina and Inej had a pretty fabulous womance going on. Maybe it’s because we’re a group of strong minded women, but we totally related most to them. It’s good to see strong, good, extremely different women supporting each other.

Bout them dudes we hated…

Pekka Rollins was on our shit list, and Per Haskell wasn’t our favorite, either.

But nobody, NOBODY is as deserving of our curses as Jarl Brum. He takes pleasure in corrupting boys and manages to twist even his own sick morals. Trust us, you’ll hate him too.

And don’t forget about Jan Van Eck. We’d love to banish him to the seventh ring of hell for that plot twist we did not appreciate.

You can probably tell that this Six of Crows kicks ass in the character department. We literally can’t stop gushing about them….

But the plot is killer too.

The Action
Some witches in the coven thought the beginning was a bit slow, but don’t you worry your pretty little head. We’re confident it’s because Bardugo was giving us a chance to catch our breath before jumping off the high dive.

Things really pick up when Kaz Brekker is offered a business deal of the shady variety - thirty million kruge in exchange for retrieving a very valuable, very controversial something from a stronghold that has never been breached.

So it’s pretty much an epic, international heist against impossible odds. Yes, their plan is crazy and no, nothing goes right.

Does it get any better than that?

If you remember nothing else from this review, remember this…

When you think you know what’s coming, forget it. So. Many. Plot. Twists.

Also, did anyone else notice that pretty much every single thing done or mentioned in the story serves a purpose? You may not see it right away, but trust us, it will come back around.

And that ending?! Holy cliffhanger, batman. That ending was no joke.

Seriously, we couldn’t get to Crooked Kingdom fast enough.

For things we didn’t like…

There was nothing. Literally nothing. The world building, characters, and story are worth more than 30 million kruge and we think you’ll agree.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

Quotes Lit Coven Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.”

Leigh Bardugo
“He knew he was being reckless, selfish, but wasn’t that why they called him Dirtyhands? No job too risky. No deed too low. Dirtyhands would see the rough work done.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true.”

Leigh Bardugo
“No mourners. No funerals. Among them, it passed for 'good luck.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.”

Leigh Bardugo
“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”

Leigh Bardugo
“It's not natural for women to fight."
"It's not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. “Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I’m going to get Wylan’s ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost.”
Brekker’s lips quirked. “I’ll just hire Matthias’ ghost to kick your ghost’s ass.”
“My ghost won’t associate with your ghost,” Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.”

Leigh Bardugo
“She'd laughed, and if he could have bottled the sound and gotten drunk on it every night, he would have. It terrified him.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The water hears and understands. The ice does not forgive.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I'm a business man," he'd told her. "No more, no less."
"You're a thief, Kaz."
"Isn't that what I just said?”

October 28, 2016 – Shelved
page 232
February 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 15, 2017 – Shelved as: diverse-reads
October 31, 2018 – Shelved as: main-reads

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Margaret  (xoxoLibro) Those gifs though!