Mel Schanz's Reviews > The Girl in the Lighthouse

The Girl in the Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford

Jun 25, 2011

Recommended for: friends who like historics, drama,
Read from January 10 to 11, 2013 — I own a copy

From the moment I began reading The Girl in the Lighthouse I found myself to be pulled into Lillian's Sweet world only to be completely dragged into her second dark disturbing life.

I have to say there are definitely two sides to this book. I've read some reviews where this is a major downfall to their liking the book, but I have to disagree and say this alone makes the book.

Here are my reasons. Warning SPOILERS!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

In the first half of the book we learn about Lillian's life up until she is violently ripped from said life. It is her story. She is between 9 and 12 years of age and is the light of her mother and father's lives. Lillian knows nothing of her parents disturbing past. She has been sheltered from everything evil. She is excited to meet new friends and her first insight of her innocence being lost is upon her.

In the second half it seems everything and everyone she has ever known is gone and/or dead. So many dark secrets are revealed. So many that I refused to do anything until I finished reading. I could guess a few and was shocked by others but the author still kept me page turning until the end. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger but that goes with series books.

The only thing I would have liked to know would have been to know about the family back on the island. Lillian learns of her father's death but not the whereabouts of the Dalton family. I'm sure this is to come in the second book.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the free book and will be buying the second and the prequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Lighthouse.