Trina (Between Chapters)'s Reviews > As I Descended

As I Descended by Robin Talley

3.5 stars.

This started off so wonderfully that at only a few chapters in I was thinking this could possibly be one of my favorite books of the year. I loved the characters and the eeriness and how it got right into things. However, as the book went on it started to feel less focused. It was a very accurate MacBeth retelling, but by the end I felt like the characters were just puppets going through the motions. I lost any connection with them. Additionally, the plot with the spirits felt weak. I kept waiting for more of a revelation or reason behind the events. I get that it was a retelling but I needed it to make sense in THIS context too, not just for the sake of staying true to MacBeth. I can't tell you why any of this happened. (view spoiler)

This has gotten lots of recs as a diverse book so if you would like to know what representation you can find here, the 4 POV characters are a mixture of Hispanic and white, able bodied and physical disability, fat and thin, and they are in m/m (pretty sure both ID as gay) and f/f (I think one is bi and the other is lesbian) relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Descended.

October 28, 2016 – Started Reading
October 28, 2016 – Shelved
October 28, 2016 –
page 81
21.89% "This is so good already!"
October 29, 2016 –