Demi (Breaking Bookshelves)'s Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jun 25, 2011

bookshelves: borrowed, wishlist, favourites, reviewed, trilogy
Read on June 29, 2011

The only reason this gets a 4.5 out of 5 stars from me - yes, I put four stars because there is no 4.5 - is because of the fact that I skimmed through some of it. Otherwise, the emotional impact is great. There was just so many things to love about this book. The characters, the words, the lyrical prowess. There are deep thoughts that begin to creep into your mind as you read the book and I loved every second of it. Alex stole my heart. The fact that I don't know what happens to him right now is killing me inside. He was such an amazing person. I teared at the end.

Favourite passage from the book:

"Mama, Mama, help me get home
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Demi (Breaking Bookshelves) Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“One of the strangest things about life is that it will chug on, blind and oblivious, even as your private world - your little carved-out sphere - is twisting and morphing, even breaking apart. One day you have parents; the next day you're an orphan. One day you have a place and a path. The next day you're lost in the wilderness.
And still the sun rises and clouds mass and drift and people shop for groceries and toilets flush and blinds go up and down. That's when you realize that most of it - life, the relentless mechanism of existing - isn't about you. It doesn't include you at all. It will thrust onward even after you've jumped the edge. Even after you're dead.”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, help me get home
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales”

Lauren Oliver
“It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me - such bullshit.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

Fleur Gill I couldn't resist skimming the majority of pages and look for the name 'Alex'...
Also why I rated a 4