Chasing Away Reality's Reviews > Lessons in Gravity

Lessons in Gravity by Megan Westfield

Oct 27, 2016

This is such a unique and emotionally charged story. Lessons in Gravity is so much more than a romance. The author did a fantastic job with the rock climbing aspects. It's clear she has experience in this sport. There were so many adrenaline-filled, edge-of-your-seat moments that had my palms sweating and heart racing. And the scenic descriptions were magnificent. I could clearly picture the valley and rock faces in my mind. Someday, I would love to visit Yosemite!

I instantly fell in love with Josh and April. It was clear from the moment their eyes met that they had a soul deep connection. It was like she could see what was behind his facade when no one else could. I guess only someone with as much pain in their past as April could truly see what lies beneath the surface. I loved the back stories of these characters and how their pasts affected their current emotional state. Once Josh's story was revealed, I couldn't help but root for him and their relationship.

April lived in constant turmoil. She was still struggling with witnessing her father's crash and her PTSD. Then she meets Josh, this fearless climber who wants to free solo and attempt climbs that have never been done. How would she ever be able to put the past behind her while spending her internship watching the man she was falling for do these crazy climbs? Could she learn to love someone so deeply that she could overcome those fears to be with him? Was loving Josh and having him for even one more day worth all the pain she might feel down the road? Or would it be better to walk away for good? She also had to consider her job; crew and talent don't fraternize. April had way more to lose than just her heart and her sanity.

I think this is one of the first times that I've actually enjoyed the single point of view. I loved all of the unknowns around Josh. Why was he so rigid and closed off? What was behind the kaleidoscope of emotions that played in his eyes? I was just as confused and frustrated as April. She was trying to get her life on track and finish film school. This was her opportunity to make a name for herself, and he seemed hell bent on ruining it for her. But was his public persona really about her or was he just scared? Would April ever be able to bring out the friendly Josh on camera that she sees when he's with his friends?

I loved going on this journey with April and experiencing the wonder of this new found love and adventure. Megan Westfield wrote a fabulous book. I'm so honored that I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of Lessons in Gravity. This was an exceptionally written debut novel, and I look forward to living her other adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons in Gravity.

October 25, 2016 – Started Reading