Susan (aka Just My Op)'s Reviews > Crunch Time

Jun 25, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery-horror-thriller
Read from June 24 to 26, 2011

(fiction – cozy mystery) Don't get me wrong – I like cozy mysteries, I really do. Generally they are light reading without overly gory murders and with interesting and fun characters. I've read some of the other books in this series about Goldy Schulz, Colorado caterer and amateur sleuth, and have enjoyed them. This one just didn't appeal to me as much.

First of all was the length. I'm prepared to spend two to three hundred pages. This one, including recipes at the end, is 471 pages. Okay, I'm a big girl, I can deal with that. But shortly into the book, Goldy's husband, a member of the local sheriff's department, starts an interrogation I thought would never end. Way too much repetition. Maybe I can't deal after all – I almost gave up at this point.

Then there were rescued beagle puppies. Rescued puppies – how can I not like that? You know I'm a sucker for anything furry. In this story...well, I don't want to ruin anything, but the puppy positives didn't outweigh the negatives.

And Goldy herself...her employee drops and breaks $1000 of a client's Limoges and Goldy makes it up to the hostess by serving the fruit and cheese trays. Really? Yolanda – what a wuss. Some of the characters came across as ridiculous rather than just quirky.

While I am whining, do I really have to read so many details about every time the weather changes, every tomato sliced, every dishwasher loaded? This could have been a very entertaining 250 page book. As it was, just too much mind candy for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crunch Time.

06/25/2011 page 260
55.0% "I felt like reading something light and I've liked this cozy mystery series. This one...I do have some issues with it. Review to come." 2 comments

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Thanks, Now I know how to handle this book, not a priority.

Cindy On the same page, so to speak. "Autumn regalia~ russet pants, tobacco-hued Italian leather loafers?" Sounds like a bad high school writing class.

Susan (aka Just My Op) Funny! Yes, there was too much of that kind of writing.

Karen I like longer books, so your review helped me in the opposite direction. It is cheap for Kindle so will get it. To each his own. Nothing wrong with your stance either. I just think longer the better.

Susan (aka Just My Op) I hope you enjoy it! I like long books, but this one seemed too long for the story it was telling. There just wasn't enough substance to justify the length.

As you say, to each his own. :)

Karen I do know what you mean by that though. Thanks.