Rachel's Reviews > I Know What You Did Last Summer

I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan

liked it

*First read in 2011*

SUMMARY
This book tells the story of four teenagers, Julie, Ray, Helen, and Barry, who make a huge mistake one night. They make a pact that night to never again speak about what happened, but one year later, Julie receives a note that claims to know what happened the summer before. The kids begin to wonder if the writer of the note could, indeed, know what happened and what they plan to do about it.

REVIEW
This book was originally published in 1973 but was revised and modernized in 2010. In this revision, the publishers added mention of cell phones, text messages, and more modern clothing. This was my first main problem, which was really just more of an annoyance. I have no issue with reading a book that was written and set in 1973 and I don't need the characters to text in order for me to understand what's going on.

However, my real problem with this book was that despite the supposed "modernizing," there was still dated jargon all throughout the book, such as the characters "going steady" instead of dating. It was also obvious that mention of cell phones was just stuck in, instead of being worked into the story. For example, some characters would mention how they couldn't call their friend because they "forgot their cell in so-and-so's car" or they didn't know their boyfriend's cell number, which was completely unrealistic. It was obvious at certain points that the characters were still using corded phones, yet had cell phones (???).

I really felt like the book should have just been left alone because the lackluster and seemingly random modernization just created a distracting and off-putting feeling throughout the book. Unfortunately, for this reason, I gave it 3.5 stars even though the story was really well written, engaging, mysterious, and creepy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know What You Did Last Summer.

October 24, 2016 – Started Reading