Mike Puma's Reviews > Ghosts

Ghosts by César Aira

4193758
Jun 25, 2011

bookshelves: argentine-author, new-directions-publishing, 2011

Ghosts. Ghosts everywhere. Ghosts hovering in the corners of an unfinished building, on its roof, telling time, extending invitations, calling. The titular ghosts, the characters rendered ghostlike by their appearance then disappearance from the story. The ghost of a story hovering over the text—to be told, but not told. The ghost of thought, the unbuilt, the unwritten. The idea.

A haunting story that leaves the reader feeling there is more to it—the knowledge the author predicts will come through a novel rather than from it. Subdued, deliberate, gauzy. A ghost story for the non-genre reader.

A little gem shoved into the last days of the year to complete my GR Reading Challenge goal—the ghost of a year spent reading some truly remarkable novels. Good friends, those ghosts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts.

June 25, 2011 – Shelved
July 7, 2011 – Shelved as: argentine-author
December 25, 2011 – Shelved as: new-directions-publishing
Started Reading
December 28, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
December 28, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Megs ♥ (new)

Megs ♥ This year just blew by, but I'm glad you felt you got some great reads in! :-) Here's to the awesome books to come in 2012!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona I've heard good things about this ghost story. The genre has not been one I've engaged with or felt drawn towards really. So I appreciate your review; Ghosts has just become a book I will read at some point.