Liora Sophie's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

4719818

I was moved to tears by The Time Traveler's Wife.

This is not the kind of book which is impossible to put down. Instead, you get to read it at your leisure, enjoy it, and actually remember it when you're done. The author succeeds in giving the reader the same experience as the characters. Clare moves through time linearly, to keep the reader grounded, while Henry jumps from time to time and allows the reader to experience the suddenness and confusion he does. The love story pulls the reader into the book so that even when you aren't reading, Henry and Clare are present at the back of your mind, as a real life lover would be.

Audrey Niffenegger writes with a lot of words, but she uses them masterfully. Her metaphors and descriptions only contribute to bringing the book to life.

"I eat ten Oreos, slowly, gently prying each one apart, scraping the filling out with my front teeth, nibbling the chocolate halves to make them last." (page 31)

And yet, it's not just long breathtaking cookie eating scenes like this. In some places the writing is so concise you do a double take and ask, did that really just happen? For instance, I think this is the shortest sex scene I've ever encountered:

"[Henry] says, 'Does that door lock?' and I flip the lock and we're late for lunch." (page 165)

From the first page, the book is ringing with moral dilemmas and existential questions. The author asks her own questions through the characters, but also uses the questions to tell the story. The fact that her characters ask makes them even more human, especially because it makes the reader wonder if they will change their answers as the story progresses.

"But don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to just be okay for your whole life?" (page 231)

Any book in which one of the characters is a cellist becomes an automatic favorite of mine. In this case, the cellist is Alicia, Clare's younger sister. There aren't many references to it, but the few were done well. "Alicia is seventeen and a senior in high school. She's a cellist." (page 16) It is as if being a cellist explains everything about her character, which is quite accurately how we cellists feel about ourselves. :)

It is rare to find a love story which begins in childhood and continues through entire lives, especially in books which are meant to make money. This love story is so detailed and so real, and still it is so gripping as Henry and Clare grow up and get married. Their relationship changes, and their lives change, but the love story is intriguing to the last moment. There is one moment where Clare describes them sitting on swings on a playground which made me think of how a love story can be thought of as a sequence of memories - the moments we choose to string together into a chain we call "romantic."

"I try to put my heart into hers, for safekeeping, in case I lose it again." (page 370)

Quotes Liora Liked

Audrey Niffenegger
“Don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?”
Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife

June 25, 2011 – Started Reading
June 25, 2011 – Shelved
August 8, 2011 –
45.0% "I love it so far!" (Audio Cassette Edition)
September 24, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Crane This is a lovely review, and a nice walk down memory lane for me, revisiting this wonderful book. I really enjoyed your comment in your review that a love story can be thought of as as "a sequence of memories - the moments we choose to string together into a chain we call "romantic."" That is SO true of this book esp. And yes, I cried at the ending too!

Liora Sophie Carolyn wrote: "This is a lovely review, and a nice walk down memory lane for me, revisiting this wonderful book. I really enjoyed your comment in your review that a love story can be thought of as as "a sequence ..."

Thanks, Carolyn! :)