Silver James's Reviews > Cast in Flight

Cast in Flight by Michelle Sagara

Oct 27, 2016

bookshelves: 2016-books-read, auto-buy-series, fantasy, keeper, audio-books, want-to-buy-wish-list, library, reread, 2018-books-read
Read from October 27 to 30, 2016

Cast in Flight (Chronicles of Elantra, #12) by Michelle Sagara [2018 reread/listen update] It's almost time for the new arrival in this series, CAST IN DECEPTION. All the reasons I both enjoyed and was a little disappointed in this book the first time I read it remain with this audio version. Ms. Sagara's worldbuilding is impeccable, with each race receiving their own history, customs, governance, and magic. My one real peeve with the book is the lack of Severn and Nightshade page time. I want to see where these characters evolve in relation to Kaylin. Sadly, while I'm looking forward to the next book, it's set in the Barrani High Halls. There may be more Nightshade but I worry there won't be room for Severn in this one. Ah well. On another note, Khristine Hvam continues with an admirable job as narrator in this series.

[Original review] Ms. Sagara takes on a race readers don't know much about--the Aerians. And readers learn more about the outcast Dragon. All the usual suspects are around to create havoc in Private Kaylin Neya's life, all to the delight of this reader. Kaylin is maturing a bit in this book. Sadly, there was not as much of Severn or Nightshade as I would have liked but the "informal dinner" meant to help the Imperial Emperor woo Bellasdeo that turned into a full-blown dinner party was a joy. Sadly, I'll have to do a complete reread of the series before the next book comes out in a year. I'll have to fix all the players--and there are many--back in their plot places. Ah, the sacrifices I make for a series I enjoy. This book is a very solid 4 stars for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Flight.

10/27 marked as: currently-reading