Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ 's Reviews > Frostblood

Frostblood by Elly Blake

**As promised, here is the Frostblood giveaway (and more!) on our blog-sponsored by Little, Brown!! Click here to enter! **

Frostblood is one of those books that you see and you know you just have to read it. If not from the cover alone (umm, hello pretty cover), then by the promising synopsis. I first saw this book back in early winter-it popped up out of nowhere and stole my heart before I even read it. It was a case of love at first sight, and I knew nothing would do until I had this book in my hands.

photo tumblr_inline_o9smqerosb1rk03if_500_zps58ivu5rv.gif

And, finally, riiiiight before it was about to come out, I got the opportunity from Little, Brown to receive a (again, GORGEOUS) finished copy to enjoy. And enjoy I did. There wasn’t one moment where I wasn’t fully engrossed in this story. From page one on, I was hooked. I honestly am just the easiest person to please with YA fantasy-give me a young tortured male with a heart made of ice (pretty much literally and figuratively), a hate-hate relationship…and I. Am. SOLD.

“She’s not yours to name.”
“She’s mine in spirit now that we’ve had an adventure together. And her name suits her. She’s soft and yellow, like butter.”
He made a disgusted sound. “If we all had names to suit us, you’d be called Thorn in My Backside. Or Plague of the Gods.”
I prickled at his scathing tone. “And you’d be Miserable Blockhead.”
“Is that the best you can do?”
“Give me time. I’m half frozen.”

photo 6857824_zpsc5vmdkse.gif

This book was clearly no exception. The first chapter broke my heart immediately-I mean whyyyyy-making it clear from the start that the author didn’t mind getting her hands dirty. I like that. I like that a LOT, and, even more than that, I respect it immensely.

photo 13548769_zpsonjdpdvw.gif

I’m not above setting a heavy precedent-it gives a book fire, passion, a reason to fight-and I’ve always loved that. Ruby is a Fireblood, a hunted people that can produce, you guessed it, fire, and who are immensely hot to the touch. Hunted by Frostbloods, the rare Firebloods who have not been found (and executed or sent to compete for sure death) yet are forced to hide, to keep themselves scarce.

“You speak as if I’m as heavy as an ox,” I said. “Last week I was a bundle of sticks.”
“You’re still too thin.”
“Perhaps if I gain some weight, you won’t call me a stick anymore.”
“You may hope to one day be a branch.”

Ruby is in hiding with her mother in a village, not able to practice her craft or live freely as she’d hope. One thing leads to another, and Ruby is saved from a certain death after being captured by the Frostblood king’s guard...by none other than Frostblood rebels-the infuriating Arcus being one of them.

photo 682410_zpsfmvn4o2i.gif

I must say, I ADORED Arcus. He was moody, wounded, but loyal to all those around him and Ruby’s biggest ally. Well…eventually…but he was always a driving force in helping her train, in helping her become the best she could be.

“And my touch threatens that somehow?”
“In a way. I brought you here to prepare you for a huge task,” he said, dipping the cloth in the water and touching it to my cheek again. “An enormous weight rests on your shoulders.”
I sighed, irritated at the reminder of what made me truly important. I wanted to mean more to Arcus than a way to melt the throne.
"And now I wonder if I can let you go,” he added quietly.

photo 7_zpsf1binm9m.gif

After seeing who Ruby is, how fiercely she wants to help, he starts to [secretly] fall for her, starts doing everything in his power to change what the rebel group wants from Ruby, to find literally any other way….because their plan leads to nothing but suicide.

photo cd9bd2e9e39743729ed3ad66455a2687_zps3m92ednu.gif

I just loved how antagonistic these two were towards each other and how they slowly began to find solace in one another-it was sweet, slow-burning, and the way he wanted to protect her, even when he didn’t like her, melted my [not so] icy little heart. And the fact that the rebel plan included him not leaving her side? Come on. Just…come on, *sighs* I lubbs him. I really do.

“Who else is there?” He asked. “What Fireblood will do this but you?”
“What if I destroy the throne? When it’s all over, are you just going to”-I waved a hand-“disappear into the air like mist?”
“From the time we leave the abbey until you’re safely back again, I’ll protect you with my life.”

So, you know, once again I feel like I’m out on a limb here, by myself, loving a book that’s absolutely wonderful all by myself. I don’t get it!!! What isn’t to like?? Swoony boy. Loyal boy. Fierce boy. Fierce girl. Mortal enemies. Enemies-to-lovers. Perilistic ending. Tons of [male] (male male male-NEED ANY MORE HINTS?) sacrifice. Tons of win. You people are crazy…but that’s okay. This book is wonderful-and I will proudly display this beauty on my shelf forever.

For more of my reviews, please visit:

**************

Ummm...Awkward. I guess I'm the black sheep again...whenever will I fit in! Lol oh wait...I DON'T CARE. *sings* Guiltyyyyyy :P

photo zJbio8_zpsvjynvbs2.gif

Starting this beauty!! Thanks to the publishers for sending me a copy in advance! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostblood.

October 26, 2016 – Shelved
January 20, 2017 – Started Reading
January 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Melissa (Ever So Mela) added it to the never ending list that is my to read books ^_^

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ MELA!!!!!!! Where you beeen.

Melissa (Ever So Mela) I was lost in the world of reality, which in my opinion really blows :P but thankfully I'm hoping things slow down a bit so I can go back to my one true happiness:book boyfriends (starting off with Magnus ^_^)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ OMGGGGG Magnus is everything...he is the PERFECT choice ❤️❤️❤️❤️

message 5: by Sh3lly (new)

Sh3lly I'm reading this now!! :) Great review!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ I just loved it!! I haven't seen much of the same response but eh....

Thank you! ♥

jencurrentlyreading Fabulous review!!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Thanks so much!! :D

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ All you had to say was "give me a young tortured male with a heart made of ice & a hate-hate relationship" and I'M SOLD! Sacrifice, love, awwww this book sounds freaking fabulous! I'm so glad you loved and I hope I love and fall for them and this book just as much as you!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Jen (in her Unicorn Bubble) wrote: "All you had to say was "give me a young tortured male with a heart made of ice & a hate-hate relationship" and I'M SOLD! Sacrifice, love, awwww this book sounds freaking fabulous! I'm so glad you l..."

Umm he was just THE BEST. I am so pleased with him!!! And the story made me happy from beginning to end! He would do anything to save her and her him, I think..

So...yes. Very happy lol Thanks, Jen! :)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ AGHHHH OMG I haven't won your ass over in a long time by a review....that's the best thing everrrrr!!! I hope you enjoy my boy!!! He was so hostile and adorable :P

Steffy Sold!! okay one to add to my TBR pile!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Aw yay! I hope you're in the minority and love it! :D

Steffy i loved it! Thanks again for the suggestion.

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ You're welcome! And so glad I'm not the only one! lol

Nicole Collins Currently reading this thanks to your review which I always look for when finding books but girl I love your review and your pictures so do pretty!!! 💖

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Nicole wrote: "Currently reading this thanks to your review which I always look for when finding books but girl I love your review and your pictures so do pretty!!! 💖"

I am SO SORRY I DID NOT SEE THIS COMMENT!!!! But thank you, I really appreciate it! I see you didn't LOVE it but I'm still glad you gave it a chance! :)