Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒'s Reviews > The Almond Tree

bookshelves: all-time-favourites, 2016, historical-fiction

My Rating: 5 ☆☆☆☆☆
In One Word: Superb!

Review:

“I had no idea words could have so much power and beauty.”

I smiled and cried while reading. I was left speechless when I finished the book. Pondering over evey sentence I read, every bit of emotions I felt, I was over-whelmed how beautifully sad a novel can be.

The Almond Tree is a heart-wrenching, self-narrative story of a Palestinian kid, Ichmad Mahmud, his family and their struggles.

It is the story of unjust occupation.
It is the story of extremism on both sides.
It is the story of never giving up.
It is the story of two lovers.
It is the story of love vs hate.

Ichmad Mahmud is a 12 year old Palestinian who lives in a village with his parents and siblings. He is a genious kid with unquenchable thirst for knowledge. He loves solving math and physics problems.

One day, his younger sister Amal fell prey to the field mine near their house and was blown up into pieces. To bury Amal, they had to wait for the permit from Israeli soldiers and for the curfew to end. So- they spent the whole night with her dead body at home, comforting her that she is finally free.

After few days of Amal’s death, the Israeli soldiers took their home, their orange groves, relocating them to a small house on the hill. Nearby their new house, there stood an Almond Tree. After his father was sacked to jail, he was desperate to share the boiling agony in his heart, he be-friended the Almond Tree.

"I said to the almond tree, "Friend, speak to me of God, and the Almond Tree blossomed."

The Almond Tree became the companion of his sorrows, happiness and loneliness. He would climb and sit on it, looking over his old house and orange groves with his hand-made telescope. The Almond Tree stood there tall, witnessing everything silently. How his new house was demolished, his tent set on fire and burnt down to ashes many times. How he fell in love with an Israeli Jew.

This novel has lows and highs of gripping emotions. It shows you how the extremes on both sides affect the peace in the area. Whose fault is it when schools are bombed, depriving them of education and blissful childhood. With lack of education and "hope", they have no where to go and no path to choose except that of destruction, destruction of self and destruction of others.

Written by an Israeli Jew, this novel is unbiased and gives the glimpse of negatives and positives of both sides.

It is a must read for those who love intriguing and heart-touching stories. I have read this book for once and I would like to read it again but I don't find enough courage in myself to go through the pain of 10 and 12 year old souls again.

Ending my review with a quote from The Almond Tree:

"You can not go back and make a new start, but you can start now and make a new ending."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Almond Tree.

October 4, 2016 – Started Reading
October 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 25, 2016 – Shelved
October 25, 2016 – Shelved as: all-time-favourites
May 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2016
May 26, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Angela M Anny, beautiful review. I was so moved by this story .

Karen Wonderful review! Great book!

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Angela M wrote: "Anny, beautiful review. I was so moved by this story ."

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Karen wrote: "Wonderful review! Great book!"

Thank you Karen. Yes, a great book, indeed :-)

Peter Upton Anny, Congratulations that is a really good review and with its emphasis on the negatives and positives of both sides it sounds like the kind of thought provoking book that I feed on! Well done.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Peter wrote: "Anny, Congratulations that is a really good review and with its emphasis on the negatives and positives of both sides it sounds like the kind of thought provoking book that I feed on! Well done."

Thank you Peter. Yes, it is an intriguing read.

message 7: by Jayde (new) - added it

Jayde Kemsley Amazing review!
I had not heard of this book, but now it's definitely going on my list to read.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Jayde wrote: "Amazing review!
I had not heard of this book, but now it's definitely going on my list to read."

Thank you Jade.
Great! I hope you will like this book as much as I liked it.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee What a wonderfully written review Anny.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Lee wrote: "What a wonderfully written review Anny."

message 11: by NuReader21 (new) - added it

NuReader21 What a beautiful review...I'm punching 'Want to Read' like Now!

message 12: by joyce g (new) - added it

joyce g Going on my short TBR list now!

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Misty wrote: "What a beautiful review...I'm punching 'Want to Read' like Now!"

Thank you Misty.
Yes please, I am sure you will love it.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ joyce g wrote: "Going on my short TBR list now!"

Joyce I am already looking forward to your review. I am sure you will love it :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Hmm, I liked this review the other day and never commented! Anywayyyy.. what a wonderful review, this for sure sounds like one I would cry while reading as well ♥

message 16: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo Great review Anny!

Pamela Superb review, Anny! I loved this book also. Five stars all the way.

message 18: by Orient (new) - added it

Orient Great review, Anny :))))) Thanks again for recommending this book to me :)

Maureen Fantastic review Anny, this book moved me to tears, loved it.

message 20: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed  Ejaz Thanks for recommending! (^_^) I will try it.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Hmm, I liked this review the other day and never commented! Anywayyyy.. what a wonderful review, this for sure sounds like one I would cry while reading as well ♥"

Thanks a lot Melissa :-)

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Anny!"

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Pamela wrote: "Superb review, Anny! I loved this book also. Five stars all the way."

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Orient wrote: "Great review, Anny :))))) Thanks again for recommending this book to me :)"

Hope you like this book as much as i do :-)

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Ahmed wrote: "Thanks for recommending! (^_^) I will try it."

I am looking forward to your review Ahmed.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris C Enjoyed your review, Anny. Not my usual type of read but after reading your review I may well give it a go.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Jack wrote: "Enjoyed your review, Anny. Not my usual type of read but after reading your review I may well give it a go."

Thanks a million Jack. I hope you like the book too.

message 28: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Krakovsky Great review, Aneela. There are two sides to every story.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Joe wrote: "Great review, Aneela. There are two sides to every story."

Thanks Joe

message 30: by Remzije (new) - added it

Remzije i just get more curious after reading the review and unfortunetly can’t find the book on my town so i have to wait for a while :/