Anjanette's Reviews > Riders of the Purple Sage

Jun 24, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: unfinished, western
Read from June 24 to July 02, 2011

The cover of this book says that this is the restored edition of the novel. Apparently when it was first published, Grey's editor cut huge portions out of the novel. With the approval of the author's son, the editor of this edition reconstructed the novel from the original manuscript. The only thing it needs now, ironically, is a good editor. As it stands I can see perfectly well why it was cut so heavily. For example, in the first 5 chapters the words "rider", "purple", and "sage" are repeated over two hundred times, I suppose either in case you forgot what book you were reading or because Grey didn't own a thesaurus. The descriptions are painstakingly detailed to the point of tedium. There is so much that is unnecessary that any effort on the part of the reader to imaging the surroundings is just wasted. I read this because Zane Grey was one of my father's and my grandmother's favorite authors, but I can only assume they liked him pared down to a manageable level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riders of the Purple Sage.

06/24/2011 page 38