Bucko's Reviews > Rocket Boys

Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam

Jun 24, 2011

bookshelves: hollywood, non-fiction, memoir-autobiography
Read in June, 2011

Homer Hickam recounts how he and his classmates, inspired by the launch of Sputnick, taught themselves (with a little help from some key adults) how to build rockets in the late 1950s. Hickam proves himself a more than capable storyteller, mixing equal parts nostalgia, humor, and teenage angst as he tells his story, including a warts-and-all look at his hometown and the coal company which gave it life. The result is a finely crafted tale of heartbreak and consternation, despair and, ultimately, triumph.

His relationship with his parents was compelling in its complexity, and I appreciated the honest look at himself, his strengths and foibles, as he progressed through his journey.

A first rate book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rocket Boys.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Y'know, I like the movie so much I own it, but I've never actually read the book. I should!

Bucko The movie is different enough that the book will still probably surprise you in spots. It's been a while since I watched the movie, but I didn't remember his mother being so important to him in the film, at least not as complex.

message 1: by Jacob (last edited Jan 26, 2016 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacob Dinis I think one of the most effective things of the whole book is how Homer didn't skip any ugly parts. The way that he describes all the dark places of his home town really makes the story shine and paints a picture of life in Coalwood. It makes his struggle seem so much more real and easier to relate to.